Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Im getting error code f21 on my GE HE2T washing machine. What

Customer Question

I'm getting error code f21 on my GE HE2T washing machine. What does that mean and can I fix it myself?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

F21 means that your washer is not draining. There is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error. To access the drain catch, tip the machine backwards and lean it against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so. Remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The lower front panel will then pull down and off. There is a 3" diameter plastic twist cap directly under the tub mounted to the floor. This is your drain cap. Unscrew the cap and clear any debris inside the drain catch. If you find nothing and the drain hose is clear, replace your drain pump.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I ran the machine on empty and i've just received error code 5d. The machine is full of water and locked shut - are those errors connected?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
yes, Sd means "suds" or in other words, it's not draining.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So follow your process for code f21? What about the water in the machine?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
tip the machine backwards at a 45 degree angle so it all doesn't come pouring out when you remove the drain catch.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it worked! thank you!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
no problem and good luck.