Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

My Kenmore Coldspot side-by-side refrigerator icemaker (ice

My Kenmore Coldspot side-by-side refrigerator icemaker (ice and water in the door) stopped letting water flow out the door. We replaced the filter, then the 2 water inlet valves. Water is flowing again but it won't stop and is running out of the ice maker compartment and into the freezer...and out onto the floor over time. What did we do wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The model number is XXXXX

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you,

Try to feel the ice maker, are your ejector blades in about the same position as the picture below?

Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the blades are in that position.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Wow, I was not expecting that.

Unplug the power cord and turn the water on. Give a few seconds to allow the water pressure to build. Water pressure is what shuts the valve. Does the water come in with no power?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. We shut off the power but left the water on. No water would dispense from the door without power. When we press the water in the door, it dispenses from the door and then a few seconds later, a small stream flowes inside the freezer from the icemaker area after we're done on the door side.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hmmm. Without electricity the water does flow into the ice maker? I just want to be sure I am understanding correctly.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No...water doesn't flow all the time. When the power is off the water won't run. The problem with the running water (when it's not supposed to) only happens when we dispense water from the door. We get water into a cup at the door, but it continues to run over the icemaker and down into the freezer compartment (after we've stopped on the door side, obviously). We can collect a cup of water inside the freezer, running from the icemaker, each time this happens. We think the valves are working but we may have switched some electrical connection on the inlet valve that has 2 valves and 2 plug-ins? We're just not sure.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I understand. I thought that may be what happened, I wanted to be sure you got a good valve and that I understood for sure what was going on. I am going to need about 10 minutes to try and find a manual to see how that valve connects.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok I think I know what happened. First thing is to try switching the tubes arrowed below red and yellow.

Do not click accept if that does not work, if it does not work just switch them back and let me know.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That photo isn't the right valve in our frig. The valve we have has 2 different sized water lines that fit on 2 different size valve connections...there's only one valve that fits each water line, so we know we have that set up correctly. It seems like it's the electrical connection...it's allowing water to run after we've stopped dispensing at the door. It doesn't seem right that water from the door should be running into the icemaker inside the frig.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Switch the wire connectors on the valve. It will not hurt a thing, they both use the same voltage. If that does not work I need the part number to the valve you received.

Let me know,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You can't switch these out because the connections are different sizes and you can't turn them over. We got the parts from Repair Clinic.com after searching on our model frig. Part # XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thats crazy, that valve is the one sears has listed for the valve for the model and they sell Kenmore. But if you go look at the diagrams there is no water filter which is what that valve I put the picture up for has so many connections. They made a little mistake there I would say.

I am looking at the wiring diagrams it has to be something in the electrical system I agree.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Take a look at the diagram below. I need to know if you have a mechanical timer there or a circuit board. The way to tell is look up from the floor where I have the green arrow. Sometimes there is a round cover there and sometimes not. In that hold do you see a flat piece of plastic or a circular object that looks like it will turn?

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are we supposed to be looking at the icemaker (which is still in place in the freezer) or at the back of the refrigerator? It's not clear to us where we're to look for this.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry. That is the temperature control panel in the fresh food section. Look for the hole or a plug covering the hole. If there is a plug there remove it and look. That will be on the bottom of the panel where you adjust your temperature.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There's one hole that has a green plastic thing in it at the bottom of the panel near the temperature control knobs. It doesn't look like a plug we're supposed to remove. There's no knob or place to grab it to take it out.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I understand. The diagram shows a mechanical timer. I don't trust the diagram anymore. I know for a fact if the timer is mechanical the water valves are not wired to it. If its a circuit timer it very well could be. I am looking at the wiring for the circuitboard now.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
According to the wiring diagram the only thing that is wired to the ice maker side of the water valve is the ice maker itself. And nothing more. Go around and follow your ice maker water line down to the ice maker side of the water valve. Disconnect that wire connector and go around to get water. Does the same thing happen?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Disconnected the icemaker wire and same thing did not happen. there was more water preasure also. i have used both new and old valves and the same happened
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
You are going to need to replace the ice maker module. According to the wiring diagram that is all that is connected electrically to that side of the inlet valve, and I have to say I have never seen one do that ever and I have been doing refrigerator repair for a very long time.

That is the bad part and contains all of the moving parts of the ice maker.

The module is the tan part under the white end cap. Unplug the refrigerator. There are 2 hex head screws that hold the ice maker on. They should be 1/4 inch screws just over the top of it and sometimes one underneath. Loosen the screws on the top and remove the one on the bottom. Lift the ice maker off the top 2 screws and follow the wires back to the wire connector and unlock then pull the connector.

You will then have the ice maker out. Remove the endcap in the picture.

Remove the wire connector from the ice maker, then remove the old module. That is the tan part under the end cap with the 3 phillips head screws.

Install the new module and then put the wire connector back in last just before putting on the end cap.

Once you get everything together plug the refrigerator cord into the wall outlet and turn everything on. The ice maker will cycle when it gets cold.
The part number is XXXXX And one place that has it online is located HERE.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.