Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Refrigerator and freezer not working, but lights on

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Is your refrigerator making any sounds at all or is all quiet?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

GSS22QGPE CC

Some sounds

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere?

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is a big piece of frosty area at the freezer rear inside wall.

Where is the fan freezer? Inside or outside of the freezer?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Its inside the freezer just above the lower metal panel at the rear wall.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see it. Do I need to unscrew something to see it? There are some screws above a light bulb.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Remove the panels arrowed blue and the fan motor is in the area arrowed red in the diagram below.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The fan is working. But the air from the fan is warm.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,

Go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well? Let me know when you can, take your time, I know you cannot rush and do it.

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
View Full Image
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The compressor is between hot and warm, not vibrating. The fan is work.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have a volt meter or an outlet tester?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok leave the the refrigerator plugged in a while. Remove the cover for the main control board which is an 8 x 10 cover about 2 feet from the floor on the back and listen for the compressor to buzz. You may hear the control board buzz or click. If you do there is no need to wait longer. Replace it. Most likely this is the problem. The part number is XXXXX and you can shop anywhere with that number. If I was there with no meter that would be the first part I would put in.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After we cleaned some part, the sound of the refrigerator is louder. May be it is working now. We'll wait some time to see what happen next. If it is not working, we'll get a votemeter and hope we can contiue our discussion to solve the problem. How do we reconnect to you later? Is there a case number XXXXX can use? Thansk.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
If you could get a meter it could probably be nailed down with one test.

Bookmark the page and you will return right here. I am in the Eastern time zone and my hours are from 7am to 9pm normally. Sometimes at night I have other things that I do so if I happen to be online doing something and you post after 9 of course I would come in to help.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks.

Do you know how much does someone charge to replace a compressor?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Our company is on the lower end of price. The labor is $400 plus the cost of the compressor. Honestly I do not think it is the compressor.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok. Thanks. We'll talk to you later today. We are on the eastcoast too.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Great, just give me a shout and I will see it.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Barry,

Good afternoon.

We have the vot meter now. What do we do from here?

Yen

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, Give me a minute to read over and catch up with you.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I needed to ask a question. When you checked the fan, were the coils in the freezer thick with frost?

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Read the post above. If the coils were not thick with frost follow the directions below which will lead you to the bad part. If there are any questions whatsoever let me know. I have to leave at 2:30 for a call and will return about 4:30 PM EST. If the coils were thick with frost please let me know.

In the picture below ignore the blue arrow. Set your meter above 120 volts AC put one lead from your meter on the shiny metal. Red arrows. The fans should be operating, have the refrigerator turned on.

With the other lead rotate through the 3 spades on that light blue connector. One is the power in, one is the defrost heater and the 3rd is the compressor. At all times you should find power on 2 of these unless the refrigerator has reached the set temperature and shut off, if there is not the board is bad.

So if the power is going in and the fans are operating then the power is not coming back out to the compressor and this test is the test to verify that. If you find that the board is bad the part number you need is WR55X10942. You can shop locally with that number. One place that has that part online is just below.

http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=1132

To replace that part unplug the unit from the wall outlet. Remove all of the connectors. Squeeze the pins in the corners to pull the old board out. Push the new board on. Put the connectors on. Those connectors will only go where they belong so you do not have to worry about getting them mixed up.

There is an instruction sheet that comes with that board. Follow that to step 2 only, all of the other steps are for other refrigerators, not side x sides.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
View Full Image
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The coil is covered with ice, what do we go from here? The lower part of the coil has much more ice than the top part.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok do this instead. Unplug the refrigerator. Those coils must be at the very least light white with frost from top to bottom. If they are not plug the refrigerator in until they are.

Then remove the very same blue connector arrowed red. It pulls off. Set your meter to any ohm setting. Put either probe into the center hole of that blue connector. Take the cord you unplugged from the wall outlet and touch the other probe to the two prongs on the cord avoiding the ground. Did you get a change in the reading on the meter on either prong?

Let me know what you find.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Since we did not get your answer after 2:30, we just went ahead and blow hot air to the coil to thaw the ice. The refrigerator seems to be working now. The temperature of the fresh produce side is down to 50 degree right now.

We probably will buy a new one if the temprature does not go down more.

Thanks for your help. My husband and I learned something today.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
If the coils were thick with frost it is probably going to cool and if it does, it will cool for about 10 to 14 days before it gets thick with frost again. Keep this page in your favorites and if you and your husband decide you want to go at it please give me a shout, I would be happy to go through it with you. Around the 3rd or 4th of sept I will not be available. Just so you know.

Thank you for using our service and please return when you need us again.

Barry