Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

GE Washing machine WJRE5500G2. After water is installed, bottom

GE Washing machine WJRE5500G2. After water is installed, bottom of tub assembly rubs on metal base and swings wildly during agitation. Does this indicate suspension rods should be replaced?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

first thing to check is the dampers. these are on the top of the tub and stop this from swinging back and forth.there are two clips you push up with a putty knife between the top and the front panel, # XXXXX on this diagram, once you release the clips the front panel will come off. make sure the dampers are not broken.the dampers are # XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I checked the dampers. They are okay. What next?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
does the tub spin while this is agitating?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The outer tub, the plaster portion, rotates about 5 degrees, back and forth, as the inter portion agitates. There are two metal brackets under the motor assembly that are perpendicular to the metal base/floor of the unit. There are ridges on the metal base/floor. The metal brackets under the motor assembly cross over and scrape the ridges on the base as the machine agitates. I can see metal filings on the floor of the unit where the brackets have scraped.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay so the whole assembly seems to be too low and is hitting the bottom? I guess you do need to replace the suspension rod Springs, these have Springs and they have probably worn like shocks on a car, these are not extremely expensive around $11.00 each, there are four, you can order them at the following link, thanks, Bryan