Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE model # XXXXX SHS VRSS refrigerator. The unit has

I have a GE model # XXXXX SHS VRSS refrigerator. The unit has been off and unplugged for a few months. When I plugged it back in and turned the unit on only the freezer works..Is this this possible? And if so why?..What should I do to make it function properly. Is there some some kind of reset button or procedure. I was under the impression that if the freezer is working properly the fridge below should be on and cooling too.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

is the fan in the freezer running?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My wife is no longer in the house and neither am I so I actually can't answer that question. What is the difference? if the fan isn't working then what? New fan right.. or if the fan is working then what else could it be?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well if the fan isn't running it doesn't send cold air from the freezer to the fresh food section, all the cold comes from the freezer. there are no coils in the refrigerator section.can you check when you get home?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately the fridge is located in our condo in Maine and I am in New York. I don't know exactly when she can get back there as she went to stay at a friend's place that's about an hour away..This is getting complicated..haha.. Is there some we can continue when she get's back there and can give (us both) definate answers to your questions? By the way I see you are from Tennessee.. I have a cousin who lives in Chattanooga...
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well what you can do is get back to me when your wife is able to check that, just leave this question open and come back and reply. I will receive it. Chattanooga is probably 3 hours from me. been through there a couple of times.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I leave the question open?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
just don't close it. it will stay open automatically.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.