Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Maytag Neptune dryer that turns itself on. It goes

I have a Maytag Neptune dryer that turns itself on. It goes off when you push the off button but then goes back on. It stays in the standby mode but the lights are on and the standby light blinks. I suspect the timer needs replacing. I need a part number and a URL or diagram for replacing the timer if that is the problem. It is a model #MDG5500AWW
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

most likely the issue is the keypad in this. the start key is the issue, its arcing and its like you are pushing the start button, try unpluging the ribbon and see if it comes back on by itself, if it does you need the control board, you can order parts @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Maytag-Parts/Dryer-Parts/Model-MDG5500AWW/3048/0151200?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=MDG5500AWW
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Brian,
That was fast, thanks. I suspected a control board. Too bad you have to replace the whole thing but that's modern components isn't it. How do I get to the control board. Does the back of the button cover (shown in your image) come off from the back or does the top of the dryer come off?

Robert
you remove the panel in the back of the control. part # XXXXX on the diagram. part # XXXXX is the control board, its not difficult to get to.