Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE electric clothes washer model # XXXXX installed

I have a GE electric clothes washer model # XXXXX installed 2/3/09. A wrist size long ace bandage wrapped itself around the base of the agitator above the tub drum. Hidden. Is there any easy way to remove the agitator to access this thing? I did not see an easy way to remove the soap dispenser and the twisty part of the agitator to access what, I assume, is a bolt of some kind connecting the base of the agitator. I am not the handiest homeowner around!! Help or just call a service man??
Thank you.
Mark G.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

well there's no bolt on this agitator, the agitator sits down on a drive block , the agitator just pulls off, unfortunately though these can be really hard to get off, they sit down on the drive block or what's also known as the drive bell very tightly and it takes a lot to get them off sometimes, which you need to do is grab it at the bottom and pull up really hard, you need to be careful however I've been hit in the face by one of these more than once when it finally comes off, this is what the drive bell looks like, this is underneath the agitator and like I said the agitator snaps over this but can be very hard to get free sometimes,if you do manage to get this off there will be a bolt holding the drive belt on and you may need to remove that bolt on the drive belt if you cannot get the article free from the agitator shaft, be careful you don't it yourself in the face when this comes loose, I hope this helps,