Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Kitchen Aide model KTRP22EKWH00 Producing excessive heat around

Customer Question

Kitchen Aide model KTRP22EKWH00 Producing excessive heat around the exterior of the freezer door.
Hello, we've been having trouble with the ice maker for a few weeks now,(leaking @ wall and low out put)
Now it has pretty much stopped altogether and the exterior around the freezer door seems excessively hot to the touch.
Any ideas ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Okay when I need you to do is pull a refrigerator away from the wall and in the back down the bottom there will be a cover over the compressor area you need to remove that, check and make sure once you have the cover off that the fan next to the compressor is running, this is called the condenser fan if it stops this will cause both problems you are having with the refrigerator, the heat around the doors and most likely the ice maker problem, the reason you have a problem with the ice maker is most likely that the ice is melting and refreezing causing the ice maker to freeze up, can you do that? This is what the condenser motor looks like in it has a fan blade on it,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I can do that . I have to grab some tools so it'll take a few minutes.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
no problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. There does seem to be a problem there. Fan is not working and seems loose,
not to mention caked with crud
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
These fan blades do move in and out a bit if that's what you mean by loose, but if it's not spinning the fan has failed, you will need to replace the motor, are you able to move the fan blade? It's not stuck correct?
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No it's not stuck it does move in and out slightly but it is not spinning
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay you need to replace the motor, the part number is, 4387244 do you have a warehouse that sells appliance parts near your home? If not you can order this on line, this fan is extremely important in this refrigerator, without it you are overheating the compressor which will eventually cause compressor failure, what you can do temporarily until you can get a fan motor is take a box fan that you use in your window and put it behind the refrigerator to blow cold air onto the compressor and keep it cool until you receive the new part, this is a temporary fix but at least you will burnout the compressor while you're waiting for the part, this part can be order that the following link if you want to order it on line, condensor fan thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Bryan, I'll get right on ordering the part and thanks for the tip about the fan.
I never would have thought of that.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
no problem, than ks and best wishes, Bryan