Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

whirlpool refrigerator mod# XXXXX ice dispenser stopped

whirlpool refrigerator mod# XXXXX ice dispenser stopped working, when pressure applied to switch pad, little flap door opens but auger doesn't turn. have insured that ice bin is not iced up. what would you suggest?
Thanks,
Lou
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Does the water in the door still work? Do you have a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
water still works, and yes i have a voltmeter
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Do you think you can check power to the auger motor? You will need to pull the auger motor off and unplug it,now depending on how this one goes in some go into the top right under the auger itself and some go in under the bottom where there is an access plate you will need to check to see which way yours comes out, the diagram is not helpful for this, it doesn't really show which way the auger motor is installed, let me know if you think you can test for power
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i think i will be able to do this, but i am not able to do it now as i am at work. assuming there is power at the auger motor, and motor does not work, i guess we are needing a new motor?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well there will be power when you press the paddle in but you must have the light switch taped so the switch is in like the door is closed otherwise you will not get power to the auger, so make sure you take the light button shut, do you hear any noise at all when you press the flap in? Is there a buzz or anything? Have you tried it with the auger removed,? Also you need to make sure that the auger motor is not frozen, remove the bin and take a hairdryer and warm up the top of the auger in the door, sometimes these will freeze and warming them up will sometimes free it up, try that also, just leave a message here and let me know. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i will try the hair dryer suggestion tonight. when i push the paddle switch, the flap door opens and closes as it should, but other than that, i don't hear any other noise. I have tried it with the ice bin and auger removed...nothing happens, drive gear will move up and down (appears to be spring loaded) but does not turn.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay yes try the hairdryer, sometimes below the drive gear you can get moisture that freezes up and causes the auger not to turn, we see this quite often actually hopefully that's all your problem is, there are also a couple of screws at the top of this where the drive gear is you can remove those and pull the cap off and heat it with a hairdryer make sure it's not frozen down below, let me know when you able to check that, if you have to test for power and you are getting power to the motor than the motor has failed, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
brian, thanks. I will not be able to check it out till tonight, but i need to free up the computer. how can i get back to you after i am able to test these suggestions?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay, just come back and post again, I will receive it automatically, thanks talk later, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok will do,

thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay, no need to reply until you check that, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan, I was working with you on Monday and your advice was helpful. do i just need to hit the green accept answer for you to get paid?

Lou Davis

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay, sorry I didn't send the button, it should be there now, I assume its working ? thats good, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.