Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We are the original owners of a model MDB7600AQWQ, serial #

We are the original owners of a model MDB7600AQWQ, serial # XXXXX which I understand was put in service on 12/27/04 and is out of any warranty. We are experiencing extremely poor service, i.e. inconsistent clean/dirty ...We are on well water with a softener/filter system in line.
Here is what has been done so far;
* a recent service call cleaned out accumulated food from the bottom & we now rinse everything before hand
* ran a product called DISHWASHER MAGIC a product that says it is a disinfectant, removes lime scale, rust and build up with short term positive results
* called your customer service department in Tennessee and she suggested running 2 cups of white vinegar, no difference
So in light of the current economy we really don't want to buy a replacement unit. Please tell me in your opinion what we could reasonably expect for the useful life of this unit.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Can you tell me how much water is in the bottom of the dishwasher after it fills? In inches? Does it come up to or above the heater in the bottom?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know the answer to the question. However I will tell you that we run the unit on the 2 hour cycle and run the hot water in the sink before running the unit to ensure an adequate supply.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Can you start the machine and let it fill and when it starts to wash stop it in open the door and tell me how much water is in the bottom? It's important to know how much water is actually in the machine, especially having well water the amount of water can determine how well this cleans, it should reach the heater or above,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I can do that but I will have to contact you again. How do I do that?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
just come back and reply and I will get it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okie dokie, I'll leave this window open. I'll be gone for that length of time. The computer is upstairs and the dishwasher is in the kitchen. BTW I don't see a green accept button on this screen. Thanks...
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
you don't have to accept yet. lets see what we can do first. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, slightly over an inch & is @ the heater but not over it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
So the water touches the heater? Okay has anybody tested the heater to see whether it's working? It's very important that this water be heated as the dishwasher runs to help dissolve foods and particles in the dishwasher, so is it little pieces of food particles that is on your dishes? Or is it more of a white film?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well there is a residual film but not white more like the color of cocoa and yes there is some residual food particles. As to whether the heater has been tested for function, I don't know. I can call our appliance repairman & ask.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
It would be a good idea to call him and ask if he tested the heater, the heater is there for a reason and helps break up the food and particles when it gets hot and heats the water, even though you run the water in the sink it doesn't necessarily mean it's hot enough to do a good job on the dishes, also this runs for a while and washers and then goes through a drain cycle and fills again for the rinse, by then the water in the lines to the sink has cooled down so it's not necessarily hot in the rinse, that's with the heater comes in and boosts the water temperature for a good clean rinse, if you think about it washing dishes in cold water in your sink doesn't work very well so it's the same in the dishwasher, let me know if he tested the heater or not.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.