Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

I have a Kenmore Trash compactor, model 13619101, Serial #

I have a Kenmore Trash compactor, model 13619101, Serial # XXXXX that for the past couple of weeks has started only intermittently working, and as of a couple days ago, it has stopped completely. I have removed the drawer, confirmed alignment of the two safety interlock switches. I assume to disassemble it will require removal from the cabinet, which I don't look forward to, as it was an extremely tight fit, and will have to tear up carpet from in front of it to be able to remove. Is there any common causes of this type of failure, and can it be repaired from inside the drawer compartment?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 3 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

When you say intermittently working, does it buzz or anything when you try to start it or does it do just nothing at all

Customer:

It does nothing at all. I also just checked the power source on the unit, and it has good power

Repairman1981 :

then one of the interlock switches would be the first thing I would check

Repairman1981 :

Either of them bad would cause this

Repairman1981 :

If they work then you should have power to the motor and at least hear something when trying to make it run

Repairman1981 :

You can try to get the switches out from inside, but really it will be easier on you to remove it and take the panels off

Repairman1981 :

If you can pry them out without breaking them you can check them in place

Customer:

I think I will give that a shot and see if I can get to it that way, otherwise, I'll have a couple hours work to get it out of the cabinet. I'll take a look and see if I can get them to pop loose from the inside, but otherwise I'll prepare to get my hands dirtier than I wanted to. Oh, well. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it a shot and see what I can discover

Repairman1981 :

It should be removable, but you might break them and have to replace them prying

Repairman1981 :

Go slow and gentle

Repairman1981 :

I'm almost 99% one of them is bad with the symptom your describing

Repairman1981 :

I'm assuming you have checked the breaker etc right

Customer:

I've managed to get the unit out from under the countertop and disassembled. Appears that the interlock switch from the inside of the chamber could be defective. Not a fun job, had to use floor jack to lift counter up high enough to get clearance to pull unit out over the carpet

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands