Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have Maytag MDG4000BWW tht is tripping the outlet breaker

I have Maytag MDG4000BWW tht is tripping the outlet breaker when it's turned on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Do you have an amp probe to check the amperage of the unit?

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a couple multimeters. Should be able to use one to make the measurement. How/where do I do that?
Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.
How long does it take to make the circuit breaker open up after startin gthe unit?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Immediately. It is a 20 amp circuit.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

is this a GFI breaker thats tripping?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, not the GFI. The circuit breaker for both outlets in the laundry room.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay, the cause is most likely the motor, its drawing to many amps to start. its the only thing that would cause this in your unit unless you have a shorted wire somewhere in the unit which is unusual,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so, do i simply replace the motor?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yes . although its not that simple. are you able to get inside to the motor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I assume that I'll have to access it from the rear of the dryer. Removed the existing motor and install the replacement. (I assume that the motor is monted using bolts or rivets. Either way, I shouel be able to remove it.) So far, I've only removed the front. Is it more complicated than that?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well actually which you need to do is go in from the front, you need to remove the part that holds the tub up and then reach in and release the belt, some of these machines have an access in the back to release the belt check that, what you get the drum of the motor is right there, there are spring clips holding it on you need to release those with a big screwdriver and of course take the blower off the blower assembly, I think you can do it I'm just saying it's not a real simple quick job but it's not that difficult, let me know if there's anything else you need to know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I'm headed out the door in a few. I'll take a look at it tomorrow when I get home from work. Do I have to remove the drum too? I did notice that the lint-trap assembly was between me and the motor (from the front) and that looked fairly easy to remove. If I remove that, will I get a better view of what I'll have to do to remove the motor? Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yes you remove the drum to get to the motor, I will be back later to check on your progress.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, Bryan you are my new best friend. Smile

I finished replacing the motor about an hour ago. (Only cut myself once. Frown ) As soon as I pulled to the old motor, I saw the cause of the problem. In front of the wiring connector, portion that takes the wires to the motor windings, had seperated and had been rubbing on the motor winding and eventually shorted it.

Installed the motor and reassembled the dryer and it works like a champ.

Thanks for sticking with me and for all your help.

Jay
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
your very welcome. good job. sorry you cut yourself. please don't forget to press the green accept button under my post its the only way I get paid for helping you. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.