Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

we have a 2004 amana side-by-side refrigerator-freezer which

we have a 2004 amana side-by-side refrigerator-freezer which warms up and melts ice cubes during the defrost cycle. The on-door water dispenser also stops while the machine is in defrost mode. After some time the unit starts to work properly and for a period from one to several days it continues proper functioning. Then it will warm up and we have to clean out the freezer.

Please let me know who we can contact in Calgary, Alberta who would be able to make the repair in the most efficient manner. Thank you John Keefe
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Okay John, first of all does this stage in defrost for a long period of time? Like say a couple of hours?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The defrost stage lasts long enough to melt ice cubes and allow food to defrost. I'd say that this period lasts a full day sometimes.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay I'm sorry I had company come in. It sounds like your defrost timer is bad and what this does is every eight hours supposed to go into a defrost cycle for only one hour and then it's supposed to come out and start running again, this is common on these the timer is located behind the front grill at the bottom under the doors, you can replace this yourself it just plugs in which will save you a lot of trouble trying to get a technician out there, it's part number 1541 on this diagram, Sears Canada would have these you can order on line up there probably get in it in and a couple of days, there very simple to install and you can do this yourself, the part number is, R0131577 in it only runs around $17.00, this will save you a lot of time and effort you did it yourself, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan