Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag Diswasher purchased in 2009 model MDB785/AWS Serial

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Diswasher purchased in 2009 model MDB785/AWS
Serial No 10401659NE
When I turn it on to wash the dishes the bottom fills in with water, it starts to heat the water, after about 3 minutes after start, the dishwasher shuts down. I can pump out the water by hitting the start button twice.
Larry
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Is there an energy saver button on this dishwasher? If so have you tried running it with the energy saver button pressed in?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

a second I will look, I don't think so

I don't see any on the front of the diswasher

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay when the water is heating I you sure it's heating? Also is the motor running while it's heating or does it normally heat first and then start when the water is hot? These have electronic boards them and if the temperature is not reached and a certain amount of time the timer(which is electronic) will shut the machine down so I suspect you have a heater problem or a thermostat problem, do you have a voltmeter and know how to use one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am pretty positive the heater is working, as i started the diswasher the first thing in the morning and the hot water line would be cold at that point, when I checked the water at the bottom, the water was hot and the heater was hot.

The motor does not start unless the water is hot, so normally I run the hot water in the sink until it is hot to shorten the start time, if I don't do that it takes alonger time to start up.

I have a volt meter but I am not sure it works.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, you remember how long it took the heat the water before when it used to run? I mean before the machine started spraying? Was it a lot longer or do you normally start within 3 min.?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It normally took alot longer then the 3 minutes, for the spray to start, epecilly if I didn't run the hot water in the sink first
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, this can be a couple of different issues,1 the thermostat that senses the water temperature is not working, 2 the board has failed, you would have to test the water temperature sensor, part number 19 on this diagram, you have to remove the front cover under the door the access panel to get to this, it is in line with the heater and is snapped to the bottom of the tub,you need to see if this shuts the heater off to early or is not sending a signal back to the board so you would need to test this for power on both sides of the thermostat, as it's running in the beginning when it's heating, see if this is shutting the heater off to early, if power is still going through it and it's not running after the water heats than the board is the issue on it. The board is open the control panel and is number two on this diagram, these have relays on it that run the motor and pump assembly, it's gonna be one of these two things,, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry I hit the worg button
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
That's okay, do you think you can test the thermostat? If you want to cut the power to the machine the thermostat should have continuity when it's cold or other words when the water is not hot in the machine, you can kill the power to the machine and take the two wires off the thermostat and check for continuity, it should have continuity like I said
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan,
I changed the thermometer on my Maytag diswasher, no change , your second recommendation was to replace the board, my expertise may not be up to that task, it costs $105 plus dollars. I also wonder if the Maytag warranty will pay for a board, if it fails in the second year.
Larry
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
it wouldn't hurt to call them heres the #

1-800-688-9900 USA