Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Good afternoon. I have a Jenn-Air cooktop and I cant leave

Good afternoon. I have a Jenn-Air cooktop and I can't leave anything boiling/simmering on the stove (soups, boiling eggs, pasta, potatoes, etc). It shuts itself off. Is it supposed to do that? If not, how can I fix it? Thanks, N
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Can you get me a model number? When you say you can't leave anything boiling or simmering because it shuts itself off how do you mean? Does this happen on all the burners? Is this a glass top stove?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good morning. Sorry to be so long, I've had company this weekend.

The model number is XXXXX 4430 WB01. It is a glass top cook top. And, I think it happens on all burners.

In order to boil something for a significant amount of time, such as pasta, potatoes, or eggs, I have to constantly stand by the stove and "jiggle" the pot. If I just put the pot on the cooktop and turn on the burner, it will heat up and then turn itself off.

Thanks, N
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
these are radiant burners, you say they all do this? these are made to go on and off to cook, thats how they work. if you leave it does it turn back on and then off and then on? thats the way they work, there is a sensor in the middle of the burner that controls that. its the rod in the center.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. I went over and tested. I loaded pots of water on the cooktop and just waited to see what happened. Eureka, they shut off, but came back on. My impatient jiggling wasn't doing anything. The burners are performing as they are supposed to, I just didn't know that. Thanks for your help, and please don't tell anyone that I am a doofus! N