Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hello, I have a GE refrigerator model # XXXXX with ice

Hello, I have a GE refrigerator model # XXXXX with ice maker accessory kit model IM-1 w/ no in-line filter. They are approx 15-18 yrs old. I have two issues items I am trying to resolve:

1. Fowl odor in freezer compartment with bad tasting ice
2. Drainage from the freezer compartment down back wall of refrig compartment and pooloing in bottom of refrig compartment under bins. Sometimes drainage is so great that ir spills from bottom of refrig compartment under door and out onto kitchen floor.

Please provide troubleshooting info to try and resolve without service call or replacing refrig.
Thanks,
RB
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Okay, usually when the ice tastes funny the icemaker is usually the cause, the Teflon in the icemaker well with the cubes are made will pick up stuff in the water and deposit it in the Teflon, how old is the icemaker? Is it the same age as the refrigerator? 15 to 18 years? There's not much between the fill valve in the refrigerator and the icemaker in this model just a tube that runs up the back of the refrigerator into the freezer section on the backside of the refrigerator if you pull away from the wall, they can also be a bad taste from the plastic tube that runs from the valve up to the icemaker so you may want to change that tube also, as far as the water leaking into the refrigerator section you have a clogged defrost drain in the freezer. If you remove the back panel inside the freezer behind your food and icemaker you will see silver coils, in the middle underneath those coils you will probably find a sheet of ice, this ice is covering the drain hole, which will need to do is get some really hot water (preferably boiling) and pour it on the ice until all the ice melts and the drain drains freely, you probably won't see the hole because he will be ice over it so you need to melt the ice before you will see the hole, we have run into this problem a lot so it's pretty easy fix though, here is a diagram of the freezer, you will need to take part number 201 out, you will probably need to remove the icemaker also so you can get the back out, a lot of the odor is probably coming from the ice in the freezer covering the hole, once you get it apart you'll be of the clean it and if you have a steam cleaner you can clean the coils also, this should eliminate the smell in the freezer and refrigerator sections, I hope this information is useful, thanks, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan, can the refrig/freezer be operational while the freezer back panel is removed/replaced and coils cleaned in the manner you described( hot boiling water)? I assume the boiling water will spill into the freezer compartment until it can be wiped up?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Well I normally recommend unplugging the refrigerator while you do this, sorry I forgot to mention that is, the boiling water will spill into the freezer compartment a little bit on the bottom you can wipe that up, sometimes you can take a butter knife and get it under the ice and pop some of the big pieces up and get them out so you don't have the defrost all but just be very careful not to get near the coils with it because you don't want to poke a hole in the coils or your all done, you will probably get some water inside the refrigerator section also but if you put a few towels in there it will catch the water it's gonna go to the same places where it's been leaking anyway, you shouldn't have any trouble I don't believe doing this, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan,I did not find a considerable amount of ice on/in the coils as well as little or no ice as you described under the coils. In the few minutes since turning off the power, the coils have begun to drip and the minor,visible ice is disapearing.

Is the drain hole VERY visible, as i cannot locate it.

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Well the drain hole should be right in the center under the coils in that tin piece that you see, under the coils, there was always a drain because when these go into defrost the water has to go down underneath the refrigerator into a catch pan where it evaporates, when you poured water there or have you did it go down the hole so you're saying there was no ice underneath those coils like a sheet of ice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I found the hole . No, there was no accumulated ice in the pan below the coils and if there was any, it would have been very minimal as I only took a spray bottle with boiled water and sprayed the coils minimally. The only ice I observed was spordically on the coils which, as I mentioned before, pretty much melted and disappeared shortly after turning the power off. The coils are dripping , but very little. I suspect this is from the hot water I sprayed on the coils.

I smelled the ice maker and the odor we have been experiencing is certainly very detectable. Can the well be cleaned to remove the odor and how or does the icemaker need top be replaced?

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
This is a tough question about the ice maker that is, normally the ice maker would need to be replaced because this stuff gets embedded in the Teflon and it's nearly impossible to get out, in fact I don't know of a way to do that, as far as the hole goes did you pour little water down the hole to see if it is draining? A little hint if you need to replace the ice maker take your old one to Lowe's, they sell replacement ice maker's for around $50 which his a lot cheaper than you would spend on line, we get them they're all the time, but bring your old one with you so they can check the numbers, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just poured water down the hole and it drained out; where should I check to see if it drained completely through the refrig ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Well if you didn't get any water inside the fridge when you did that it should be okay, I'm beginning to wonder whether it was the ice maker that may have been causing the issue of the water in the refrigerator, I can't be sure but it sounds like you get the drain clear.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No water inside fridge. I'm going to leave the ice maker out and see if the odao disipates. Thanks for the heads up on seraching them out at Lowes.

Is it common for the catch pan at the bottom of the refrige to spill over and onto the flooe during the defrosting ? We have had this ongoing for quite some time. Cause and remedy ?

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
It's not usual for the pan to overflow, I'll have to wait till tomorrow and see if the water stops going in to see if the icemaker was the issue, just let me know tomorrow, thanks, Bryan