Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

hello, I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator (gss25ufpa

Customer Question

hello,

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator (gss25ufpa ww), about 8 years old. The refrigerator portion is now only cool at best even with a high setting. It does sit in my garage which can get very warm, however, it's been in that setting for several years. Looking for advice as to what the issue might be.

thanks,

Kevin
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Hi Kevin can you open the freezer and behind the food on the back wall inside the freezer is there any Frost on that panel? Look real good and let me know,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Brya... yes there is frost on that panel. Pretty much in the middle, more toward the refridgerator side... not really on top near the icemaker and not toward the bottom... but there is frost concentrated in the middle of that panel
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay Kevin, do you think you can take that panel off? There I usually just a couple of screws in the top and in the bottom, you need to take it off and check the Frost pattern on the coils themselves behind the panel do you think you can do that is Mark
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sure, I can take the panel off. I'm assuming you mean from the inside. your message got cut off. the frost IS in a circular pattern. What sort of frost pattern on the coils would I be looking for?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes I mean on the inside behind the shelves in the food, when you get it off the Frost pattern on the coil should be uniform across all the coils, another thing you need to check is pull a refrigerator away from the wall and see if it's clogged with dust in the back down the bottom where the compressor is, also make sure the fan is running in both the freezer and behind next to the compressor, let me know when you get this done, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will do... also.... it seems the bottom of the refridgerator is colder than the top.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay well let me know what you find when you get it apart.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

got the panel off. There is frost / ice covering the top part of the coils... down to about the middle of the coils. The bottom part of the coils has a uniform frost pattern that looks normal.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay you seem to have a defrost problem, one thing first though is the fan running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i thought the fan was running, but now I'm not so sure. I think it's only the compressor that's kicking in. i took off the back panel... the fan was a bit dusty, so I vacuumed that off. the compressor kicked in, but i didn't really see / hear the fan kick in.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Are you talking about the fan next the compressor? How about the one in the freezer? Push the light button in and see if the fan comes on in the freezer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes... that was the fan II was talking about. the one you can see when looking at the back of the fridge.... to the right of the compressor.... compressor being under the refridgerator portion, the fan under the freezer portion.

No, I do not hear the fan come on when I hold the light button in on the freezer.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, if neither of the fans are running this is a control board issue,the control board has a transformer that cuts the power from 120volt ac to around 13 V DC, these transformers fail on these boards if that a lot of trouble with them, you need to replace the control board, this is located on the back of the refrigerator behind an 8 x 10" cover, probably to the right of the compressor on this one when looking from the back, you can order the board at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?modelNumber=GSS25UFPAWW or if you wish you can search the web for a better price, the part number is, WR55X10942, this will take care of your issue, it's not a defrost problem it's a board problem, the reason the top of the coils freeze up more than the bottom is because the fan is not running to send the cold air into the refrigerator section where the sensors are, in that case the refrigerator keeps running a long time to try to get it down to temperature so the top of the coils get more frosted because as where the Freon comes in first, in the bottom not quite is frosted because when this goes into defrost the heater is on the bottom so it melts most of the Frost on the bottom section of the coils, thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan, thanks for your help. I'll hunt around for a place locally that might have the control board. Too bad I'm new to the area... i had a great place to go where I used to live. I'm in the Raleigh, NC area, so if you have any suggestions...Laughing.

That said, should I do anything about the frost/ice that is currently on the coils? Or will the replacement of the control board ...and heater/fan working take care of that eventually?

Thanks,

kevin

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes you should defrost the top of the coils where it's really clogged up, but until the fans start running the refrigerator section will not get cold as cold as it needs to be, so the faster you can find the board the better, thanks and good job, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

uhm.... so. would you still have the same answer if I told you that the fan in the freezer section came on? I went out to put the frozen food back in the freezer for the time being and the fan was on. When I checked before by holding the light button in (for over a minute) the fan did not come on. Just wanting to make sure I get this fixed.

Thanks,

kevin

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay Kevin, so the fan is running now in the freezer? How about the one in the back? Near the compressor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, the fan in the freezer is working, but it doesn't seem that the fan in the back (below the freezer, to the right of the compressor) is running.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay have you tried spinning it by hand in see if it starts make sure nothing is clogged in it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
turns out I didn't know what I was looking at. I was looking at the cage, not the fan (like a classic car heater fan). The fan in the back near the compressor is working just fine.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
so the fan in the freezer isn't running? I'm getting confused
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry... it seems like both fans are running. Both the one in the freezer (you can hear it running when you open the freezer door), and the one behind the fridge (under the freezer, next to the compressor). Initially when i checked, neither were running. They are both running now.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay this may have been stuck, I would defrosted like I said and put the back panel back on and let it freeze for a while and see if the refrigerator gets colder. It may be that it was the fan was stuck. You may not need the board at this point, let it run overnight and let me know tomorrow what the temperatures are tomorrow. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay. I'll also see what I can do to defrost / deice the coils for the time being.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay make sure you put the panel back in the freezer.