yourrepairspecialist
yourrepairspecialist, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 10 Years of experience in the field of Marine, Commercial and Residential AC,TV and Appliance Repair.
60257586

We have a black Maytag dishwasher, model W10199645, perhaps

Customer Question

We have a black Maytag dishwasher, model W10199645, perhaps about a year old. In the past week its control panel has started refusing to react properly when its buttons are pressed.
- when I select a heavy load cycle, with the status light at "wash", I get "steam clean" turning on (which I do not want), and the status light moves to "dry". Pressing "steam clean" as often as I want (to switch it off again), holding it down as long as I want, doesn't turn off its light.
- I can press "cancel", and it does a couple of minutes of draining (I can hear the water spraying into the garbage disposal), but once it's finished, quiet with no lights, and I try to do the whole thing over from scratch it just gets me right back to the situation above.
- If I let it proceed regardless (I was very reluctant at first, with the thought of its steam cleaning dry dishes) it sounds as if it's at least going through the washing phase. Now the "steam clean" light starts a slow blinking, and the delay light indicates 4 hours when I haven't touched anything for delay.

I've tried reading that brief foolscap guide which seems to be its only documentation (apart from the installation guide), but it doesn't seem to apply.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  yourrepairspecialist replied 3 years ago.

yourrepairspecialist :

Hi Sorry to hear about your problem with the dishwasher... it looks like you are having a control panel problem, which is malfunctioning, try disconnecting the power to the unit for a couple of minutes and reconnect it, this sometimes resets the board if that doesn't work, you will need to replace the control panel. hope this helps!

Customer :

I tried this 2 or 3 times over the course of a few days. (Should have thought of it myself, but I'm too used to older dishwashers to start thinking of them as having microcircuitry, or even software.) No apparent effect. Could heat from the washer have screwed up the control panel? Also, though it may be totally irrelevant, there is a panel between the front of the dishwasher and the floor, that seems to consist of something soft -- rubber, plastic, vinyl, I don't know what. Parts of it have torn away, so there's now a ragged gap in that panel. Typically it gets forgotten because it's recessed under the dishwasher door, and in any case it's black on black.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Alastair