Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My refrigerator water filter does not work. I have put it

Customer Question

My refrigerator water filter does not work. I have put it in according to directions but the red light stays on. The first time I screwed it in, water gussed out into the fridge. I have the right parts. I ordered an adapter part from Sears but when it came I actually already had it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

is it the filter light on the door that isn't reset? are you getting water?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have pressed the filter as directed for 3 seconds and it stays red. There is no water or ice.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
what is the model # ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If you help me and get me straight, I will pay.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'll try, do you have the model # ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
GSS23WGTABB
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
is this the water filter you installed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay what was the original problem? Why did you change the filter? We you getting no ice before that also
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The red light came on so I changed the filter. I was getting ice before that.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay on your control the touch pad is not locked correct? At the very far right on the touch pad it says lock this is not locked correct? I'm sorry for all the questions but we need to get to the bottom of this and I've got to check all possibilities.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK I pressed it and the green light came on.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay is now unlocked, you tried to get ice ? If not try it now
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no ice coming out. The red light is still on the water filter and the green light is on the lock
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay have you held the reset filter button in since you reset the lock?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, It stays red and the lock button beeps
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay your mother board is bad, this is the main control board for the refrigerator, is located on the back of the refrigerator away from the wall, there is an 8 x 10" cover over it GE has had to make several changes to these boards and has redesigned them four times, you will need to install the new board, you can order it at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?modelNumber=GSS23WGTABB unfortunately there is no quick fix for your problem and the board needs to be replaced, thanks for hanging in there a great day, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am a 65 year old woman. Will I be able to install this board myself.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yes its pretty simple and it comes with instructions, all you really need is a 1/4" nut driver and a pair of needle nose pliers, the board just plugs in and it comes with the instructions to do this, these boards have a logic on them in when the logic gets scrambled (it's like computer-chip) then you lose control of the dispenser, this is a very common issue on these. Thanks, Bryan