Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

Kenmore Front Load HE2 plus Washer. Door is locked and will

Kenmore Front Load HE2 plus Washer. Door is locked and will not open. "Add garment" and "Door Locked" buttons are both lit, but when I follow instructions from Trouble Shooting Manual, it does not work. Operating buttons are not working correctly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today. Remove the lower front panel from the front of the washer by removing the 3 screws in the bottom of it. Then reach inside the washer by the door lock and pull the manual release tab on the bottom of the lock. This may reset the door lock it will release the door too.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tried this and the door did open, but when we closed the door back, the control buttons still are not working correctly, washer won't start and the door relocked itself again. When unplugged and plugged in again and pushed the power button, control buttons light up correctly, but when you push the start button, the door automatically locks and the control buttons don't work
Does it display any error codes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes - now it is saying "F - 28" (until we followed your advice above, there was no error code)
You have a bad door lock and need to replace it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This has never been a problem before - just started last night - would a bad door lock have caused prior problems? (like the door just not opening very well, but still opening) Could it also have something to do with the water not draining - which caused the door not to open? When we took the clothes out, they were still very wet. Why does unplugging and replugging not reset the controls? Anything we need to do there?Thanks so much for telling us how to get the door to unlock!!
With that lower panel removed you will see a white twist cap. Unscrew the cap and make sure the drain filter isn't clogged.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry - this took a while. Good news and bad news. The white cap and thing attached (filter?) were screwed in really tightly and after removed, it had a lot of black moldy stuff on it and some coins in the "tray" and some "threads" but no larger fabric things. Nothing was stuck up in the holes as far as we can see. It drain the water out, but the controls still won't work. Plugging and unplugging allows you to turn on power but then if you push another button it locks the door and the other control buttons will not function. You have had great suggestions so far - what next?

F-28 means you have a bad door lock but it sounds like you might have a bad control. I would recommend calling a tech. You have done all the easy steps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much - is there anything else that we can try? Do you think this will be an expensive repair from a tech? Any tech suggestions?
The repair will be around 200.00. I would call whirlpool and see who they recommend in your area.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We bought the washer from Sears (it is a Kenmore HE 2 plus) 4 years ago - does Whirlpool make the Kenmore washer?

Yes this is made buy whirlpool. I dont recommend calling sears to do the work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you SOOOO much! You have been great! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you - we are trying to sell our house and some people are coming tomorrow to help us with some of the early packing. We have lived here for a while and gotten older since our last move, plus we are moving to take care of my stepmother who was recently diagnosed with dementia - all of which have been difficult for us. The washer breaking down was definitely not in the plan for the day - so having your help was truly wonderful!!! Thanks so much for your patience and all of the excellent advice that you gave us!
Your welcome. Good luck
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years