Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

If I were to buy a refrigerator/freezer for occasional use

If I were to buy a refrigerator/freezer for occasional use in my basement, what brand of reconditioned or used models would you suggest and is it bad to only run them sometimes?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. Bets get started.

Well are you looking for a side-by-side or a freezer on top type of refrigerator? Side-by-side have more problems, if you were to buy a freezer on top used I would probably go with a whirlpool if you can find one, Roper is the same as whirlpool so if you see one of them that's made by whirlpool, some Kenmore's are made by whirlpool but not all so you can't be sure without a model number who makes it, here is a list of the manufacturers of Kenmore in case you see one you like,

Roper Whirlpool CaloricKelvinatorGibsonD & M
103
647
835
911
155
106
110
562
665
198
174
960
417
662
628
253 587
GE Speed Queen Maytag Litton Toshiba Fedders
363
362
651925 747562484
AmanaWCITappanJenn Air
596 790 791 629

the first three numbers of the model number determines who made it so you can see by the lists Roper and whirlpool are in the top left corner on this list those numbers are all made by those companies essentially though Roper is whirlpool they just put their name on it, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan