Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Sear Freezer model 11155. Probably about 25 years

I have a Sear Freezer model 11155. Probably about 25 years old. I have not used it for 13 years and it was turned off. I would like to use it again but it won't cool. Is it worth having a service call and fixing? Afriend said "the gas has probably leaked out and it's not worth the repair cost." Your thoughts please. Nancy

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. Lets get started.

Most likely if this has set for that many years you have a Freon leak and have lost your Freon in the system, this would need to be done by an HVAC technician and most likely your evaporator coils is where the leak is, this would probably be more money than you would want to spend to repair this, you are looking at anywhere from $200.00-$400.00 to repair this, even if it was just a Freon refill you're looking at $200.00 but in most cases your evaporator is the problem because these corrode they are very thin aluminum tubing that is in the freezer and this cannot be sealed you have to replace the entire evaporator, in my professional opinion it would not be worth putting that kind of money into it, down the road you will surely have other problems to add to the costs, my suggestion would be to give up on it and replace it if you need a second refrigerator, hope this information is useful, thanks, Bryan