Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Fridge Model# XXXXX CC. It will work fine for

I have a GE Fridge Model# XXXXX CC. It will work fine for a few days and then it doesn't. I put a thermometer in. It will be great at about 10 degrees and then goes to 40 degrees. It doesn't matter what the setting is on. I noticed when it is cold inside the outside by the gasket feels very hot. When it is not working is does not feel hot. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

What you need to do is pull a refrigerator away from the wall and remove the bottom access panel that covers the compressor, there will be a fan there you need to see if this fan is running for one,if it is running make sure there is not a lot of dust buildup on the coils back there, what you get this removed and check the fan let me know we will take it from there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will try that (when my husband gets home). Is it possible that the
fan works at times and at other times does not?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes that is possible, but normally when the refrigerator is cooling in the compressor is running this fan will run to help cool the compressor, if the compressor gets too hot it will not cool correctly, this is very important, and you need to check for the dust also it could be really clogged with dust this can also cause the issue if it's hot between the doors, it's definitely a compressor cooling issue, let me know tonight or whenever your husband gets home what it looks like, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan,

I'm Marlenes husband, Jim. I pulled the fridge out of the wall enclosure and there was a metal grill/panel. To the right was a grating and behin it was a 'rolled oats container' sized screen/mesh cylinder. aAt the left end of the screen cylonder was a 4" plastic fan blade that was turning. I cleaned greasy dirt from the mesh wiri cylinder and it seems like the air flow was much better. The temperature inside went from 32 degF to about 25 degF in 15 minutes, and 20 degF in about and hour. We have it set at '9' (out of 10) on the thermostat for the freezer. The big test will be it's regenerative capacity after you open it a couple times to take things out and put things in/back. It just didn't recover. After the "recall repairs" the new computer/program which kept the compressor running after the door had been left open for too long, it worked quite well. I don't know if I cleaned it well enough to help enough ... talk to you tomorrow.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay sorry I had been off last night, get in touch with me today. I will be on and off all day. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good Morning Bryan. It looks like so far so good. It has cooled down to about 10 degrees. What is the correct temp?