Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a Whirlpool Refrigerator Model GS6SHAXLS02. The freezer

We have a Whirlpool Refrigerator Model GS6SHAXLS02. The freezer is not cold, ice is melting and it will not make ice. The refrigerator side seems to be fine. I have clean the coils, but it still does not seem to be getting any colder. What is my next step?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Do you hear any clicking or buzzing coming from the compressor? Is the fan in the freezer running? Is there any Frost on the back panel behind your food in the freezer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No clicking or buzzing. I do hear the fan running in the freezer. The water in the ice machine is cold, but not freezing. No frost on the back panel. THere is a red light flashing on the ice maker control panel.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay can you pull a refrigerator away from the wall and remove the panel covering the compressor area at the bottom? I need you to feel the compressor and tell me if it's hot, warm, or cold. Also is it vibrating? And there is the fan next to the compressor is that running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The fan is running and the compressor is very warm to the touch. Not hot enough that you can't keep you hand on it, but more that just warm.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
And you are absolutely sure is no clicking or buzzing coming from the side of the compressor about every 3 to 4 min.? Did the compressor feel like it was vibrating? Running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not heard any sounds. It did not feel like it was vibrating or running at all.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, that's what I thought, you need to replace your compressor start relay, it is the part on the side of the compressor, it will look like one of the ones in this picture, Main Product Viewthey have used so many different once that they don't sell a single one for this they sell it in a kit, you don't use all the parts shown in the picture above you may have the little brown one with the white overload, or you may have the one that has both in one piece which is the ones above the brown and white ones, but they only sell the kit for this now because they've used so many different ones that you have to match up the one that belongs on yours and use it, these just plug right onto the side of the compressor, unplug the refrigerator before you attempt this, if you have the little brown one you can pull it off and shake it if it rattles it's bad for sure, you can order this kid at the following link http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/8201786/1177466?modelNumber=GS6SHAXLS02 I hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.