Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My gas oven model # XXXXX will not turn on. The top burners

My gas oven model # XXXXX will not turn on. The top burners are fine. I can hear the click when trying to use the oven, but it just won't ignite. What can i do? The element also does not turn orange at all.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Does your broil work?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bryan,

no, the broil does not work either...
Joe
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay Joe, does it click up in the control panel when you try to use it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, i can clearly hear the click.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay how many times does it click? Does it keep clicking like it's trying to come on or does it just click once? What does the control say is a little oven light on the panel come on saying bake?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it clicks once, yes the "heat" and "bake" lights both come on. I can also hear a very slight humming noise after the click in the control panel.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, have you by any chance self cleaned this lately? I'm not seeing any high limit thermostat in this one so there's nothing between the control and the igniter's, do you have a voltmeter and know how to check voltage? We need to see if there's voltage getting to the igniter's.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have NOT self-cleaned this oven, i think ever..... should i try that? sorry, i do not have a volt meter, but will look for one, never used one before.....
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Well the thing is you hear the control click but the igniter's on glowing from what you're saying, so the only way to tell if the igniter's are getting power is with a volt meter, the only reason I asked about the self clean is because sometimes when you use the self clean the door switch fail in this could cause both the broil and the bake not work, you can try going into self clean but I'm afraid it may get locked in you won't be able to open it if there's a problem with the control itself which is the way I'm leaning at this point, although we really can't tell unless you are able to get a voltmeter and test the voltage going to the igniter's, this would require unplugging the igniter putting the voltmeter on voltage and putting one probe each of the holes in the plug and see if you get 120 V you put this in bake, I don't believe both igniter's are bad in this that is very rare so I don't think the issue is with the igniter's themselves, I think the problem is your control has gone bad, although this an expensive part and it's best to test before ordering something like that let me know if you can get a volt meter or if you feel comfortable doing that, if you don't feel comes will don't think you can do it unfortunately I would recommend a technician because you don't want to start replacing expensive parts not knowing which one is bad, just let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The ignitor is not glowing however. Does this change your answer?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
no that's what I mean, there are two igniter's, one for the oven, and one for the broil, it's extremely rare that both igniter's are bad so this leaves me back to the control, it's the only thing that could be causing both not to come on, but would need a voltmeter to see if the power is getting to the igniter's. So this does not change my answer I am still leaning towards the control,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if the voltmeter shows that the power is not there, then it is definetly the control? what if the voltmeter shows the power is ok, the only other option is that both ignitors are bad?

Just saying it can only be 1 or the other, right?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
That is correct, if it is not showing power to the igniter's control has failed, there are relays on the board that the power to the igniter's and that's what you here click, if you have power to the igniter's then the igniter's are bad, this is extremely rare however unless they've gone out at different times say one a few months ago and now the bake doesn't work but for both of them to go out at the same time is almost unheard of, so yes if the igniter's do not get power you control board is bad, I really hate to say that without having you test them in there other things that need to be tested but if you have them use the self cleaned I doubt the switches on the door lock assembly are bad, that's the only other things that could cause such an issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one thing i failed to mention is that in the past few months, this would happen intermittently, and now it just doesn't work anymore. Would this change your answer any?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Not really, my job is to help you as much as we can and I'm trying to but unless you can test certain things with a voltmeter we can't be 100% sure, I would hate to have you replace something that is the issue, we try to avoid this and not just throw out answers, but from what you're saying it sounds more and more like the control board, if it was the door switch they usually go and don't work again, if it was an igniter the same thing kinda goes like that, and since the igniter is not even coming on then the control has to be the issue, I really hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, how would i check the volts on the ignitors with the voltmeter? can you give me a little basics?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Down the bottom of the oven if you pull the drawer out you will see a plug going to the igniter, you need to unplug that plug and on the stove side not on the igniter side you need to play probe and each of the holes of the plug, then put the oven on bake and your meter should read 120 Volts, that's the easiest way to tell if you getting power to it, I've got a feeling though you're not, let me know and if you are not I will get you a link the part thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the bottom drawer though, is the broiler... wouldn't i put the 'broil' on to see if it goes to 120V ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, that's funny I thought the broiler on yours was up in the oven and the top, according to the model number it was showing in there, so you're broiler is in the drawer? And you only have one igniter there's not one of the top of the oven cavity? This changes everything if that's the case, most likely the igniter has gone if that's the case, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
oops. you are right! sorry, my goof! my broiler is on top of my oven area as you said....
How do i unplug it? i don't see a means of disconnect from inside the oven area... just the direct wires to the ignitor.. is it just the one screw that i see on the back of the oven where the wires go into?

Also, just to let you know i do not ever smell gas when trying to turn on the oven now. don't know if this will help any...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i found the plug - i didnt pull out the drawer fully.... now i see it. i have a friend stopping by tomorrow to test it out. will let you know what he finds....

thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay sorry I was off line, let me know tomorrow. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Guess what.....it reads 120V... so it has to be the ignitors, right? at least it's not the control panel!!!