Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience appliance repair and installation
25067054

I went to clean my top oven yesterday on my Maytag Gemini stove

I went to clean my top oven yesterday on my Maytag Gemini stove and it said it could not clean it and then locked both the top and bottom oven - for the last 24 hours. What is going on?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 5 years ago.

Neilwill :

Hello, Thank you for using JustAnswer! If you have any questions after reading my answer,be sure to let me know.

Neilwill :

Are there any error codes showing?

Neilwill :

And what is your complete model number?

Neilwill :

Unplug the oven for 5 minutes and the system should reset and allow the doors to unlock.

Neilwill :

Check to see if the broil mode works on both ovens. According to the technical information on this range, the broil element is used for the clean cycle. If the broil element is bad, this would prevent the lower oven from heating in the clean cycle. A wiring failure or control problem would also prevent the broil element from heating in the clean cycle.

If the broil element does not heat in the broil cycle for the oven then I recommend that you unplug the range and check the resistance of the broil element (unless you physically see that the broil element is damaged or broken). To check the resistance (with the range unplugged), remove the screws that mount the broil element to the roof of the lower oven cavity. Remove the screws in the upper back wall that secure the broil element and carefully pull the broil element into the lower oven cavity until you encounter the wiring connections on the back of the element. Remove one wire and measure the resistance through the element. You should measure between 10 and 25 ohms of resistance through this element. If the element is open (measures infinite resistance or Ol -- open load) then it will need to be replaced. You can order a new broil element from the Sears PartsDirect website.

If the broil element is okay, you could have a wiring failure or a problem with the electronic oven control board. I recommend that you have a service technician diagnose and repair this type of failure. Here is a link for the Sears Service website in case you need it: Sears Home Services .

Neilwill :

This aplies to both ovens

Neilwill :

Are you there?

Expert:  Neilwill replied 5 years ago.