Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE profile series bottom freezer purchased in 2004.

I have a GE profile series bottom freezer purchased in 2004. The temperatures in both the freezer and the fridge keep rising daily and go down over night. food in the freezer fells somewhat soft but not defrosted. Fridge makes a fair bit of noise
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Do you see any Frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind the food? Also does it sound like the fan in the freezer is going up and down in speed? Whining faster and slower?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no frost. The noise is not a whine, but more like the motor going faster and slower depending on the temperature. ie. when the temperature has gone up it seems to work hard.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay that's what I thought, this is a problem with the board, the main control board that is, GE has had a lot of problems with these boards, especially with the transformer that runs the fan in the freezer, these transformers go and start the fan going up and down on speed,you will need to replace the board, this is located on the back of the refrigerator if you pull a refrigerator away from the wall there is an 8x10" cover the board is located behind the cover the part number is XXXXX the board is WR55X10942 and you can order it on line at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?modelNumber=PDS22SBSALSS GE had to redesigned these boards and this is the latest design and it seems to have taken care of all these issues, you can replace this yourself it comes with instructions and is not very difficult, just a few plugs, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this a new and improved board as I have read online that there have been problems with the replacement board.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes this is the latest board they have designed, this one takes care of your issues with the older ones, they've actually had to redesigned these four times over the last five years, but they finally got it right they have beefed it up and it's much better, I've never had to replace one of these that I've installed in the refrigerator.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help. The link for the part, do they ship to Canada or is this a Canadian company or do you have a Canadian depot that parts can be purchased from. Plus is I have other quesitons once the part is received, are you able to help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Actually I don't have a Canadian supply company that I can refer you to, if you search on line for appliance parts different companies will come up and just put in the part number I gave you and they should have it. The I site gave you doesn't ship to Canada unfortunately, I was using that to show you what the board looks like and get you the part number, most major supply companies carry these boards so I'm sure you will have no trouble finding one, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help. You did not answer the part of my question about assistance when the part is received.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, you have 30 days after you accept to come back and ask me any questions you need answered, although this comes with pretty clear instructions and I don't believe you will have any problems installing it I will be here if you need me, it shouldn't take you longer than 30 days to get it so just leave the question open after you accept and you will build ask me any additional questions you have, thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.