Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

There is an odor in my refrigerator that smells like fumes.

There is an odor in my refrigerator that smells like fumes. I can smell it in the kitchen after I open the refrigerator.
Workmen did leave the door open recently and I threw out everything, but the odor is there and I'm worried it may be dangerous. Is there some way I can have it checked out.
The model is a GE TFX22Z and it is about 18 years old. Thanks.
Kay Casstevens
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. Sets get started.

May I ask what the workman were doing at your home? Were they painting staining or using any kind of glue?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They were installing and varnishing hardwood floors
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay, unfortunately if they left the refrigerator open and it was running and they were varnishing hardwood floors the refrigerator will suck in these fumes and it will get everywhere in the refrigerator including behind the panel's and into the insulation even, my guess is you have varnish fumes better now in the refrigerator even though they may smell different because they react with the insulation the refrigerator and in plastics in it, there may be no way to get all that out, this refrigerator being 18 years old it may be time to replace it because you can't get at the insulation which is inside the cabinet itself and this does not come apart, I wish I had better news, have you had this plug it back in and running for a while? If so and the odor hasn't gone away then it's embedded in the insulation, I've run into this type of thing before and it's nearly impossible to get the smell out, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Before I accept, I need to know -- is it dangerous in any way -- inhaling these "fumes"

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Well it can't be good for you, inhaling any kind of fumes is not good but you definitely don't want to be inhaling varnish fumes, and also if you are using the refrigerator it can't be good for your food because food seems to absorb fumes so the quicker you can replace this the better, also as you open the door the fans are running so they are spreading the fumes around when you open it, I would replace this as soon as you can, thanks and best wishes, Bryan