Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my wall oven has black, red, white and green wires. my outlet

my wall oven has black, red, white and green wires. my outlet box has black, white and green wires. what do i do with the red wire?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Okay so you have 4 wires on the oven and 3 in the box so this means you don't have a neutral running from your breaker box to the oven, what you will need to do is put the green and white wires on the oven together and then connect those to the green wire in the box, the green wire is the ground which also serves as the neutral, then you put the black wire to the black wire the box and the red will go to the white wire in your box, in other words in your outlet box the black and the white are line 1 and line 2, and a green wire is the ground, you may want to double check with a voltmeter if you have want to make sure that is wide correctly at your box before hooking this up, you will need a voltmeter to do that, but if your other oven was hooked up to this box in you had a white and a black wire and a green wire from your old oven then it probably is wide correctly at the box, I hope this information helps, thanks, Bryan