How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Jen-Air JMV 8000ADB does everthing but cook. The lights

Resolved Question:

My Jen-Air JMV 8000ADB does everthing but cook. The lights and fan work fine but not the cooking. The manufacture date is 1999. What should I do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 5 years ago.
The only way this will be fixed is with you taking it apart and doing some testing with a voltmeter. Capable or not?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I'm handy with most stuff but not appliance repair.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. Lets get started.

 

 

There are two major causes for this, well one is not expensive but the other is, 1 the high voltage diode may have blown on this, usually however when this happens you smell a funny plasticly burn smell that comes from the control area, if you are not smelling anything strange then most likely the problem is the magnetron itself, the problem is this being a 1999 model the magnetron is no longer available,this being said it is also one of the most dangerous parts to replace an a microwave even if you could get it, most people considering these run about $160 will opt to replace the microwave at that point, microwaves are extremely dangerous to work on if you open the control panel, even with a microwave unplugged the high-voltage capacitor can store enough voltage to kill you, it's best at this point in my opinion you look into replacing the microwave itself, microwaves normally are only good for about 5 to 7 years anyway and you did good with this one that 12 years, the parts for this are getting to be obsolete and no longer available so no matter what you do if you call a service man he's going to charge you a service call and then tell you most likely the part is no longer available, I'm trying to save you that money, I hope this information is useful in helping you determine whether to go forward with this or not, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Bryan and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you