Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My dryer will not start. When I push the start button there

My dryer will not start. When I push the start button there is a click as the button engages and then a buzzing sound. This buzzing sound will continue for as long as the start button is manually held down. Mine is a Kenmore 110.71812001.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Can you try this? You will need another person to try this, open the door and hold door button in and have someone press the start button while you hold the button and spin the drum by hand, see if the dryer starts, let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did this and the dryer did not start. In holding down the start button the buzzing stopped and now it only clicks. Sounds like I just blew the fuse.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
The fuse at the house on the thermal fuse in the dryer? Does the drum feel real tight or does it spin pretty easily?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The drum seemed stuck at first, but I was able to make it spin by hand. Once I got it to spin, it now spins freely. I was thinking I blew a fuse on the dryer when the buzzing stopped. However, I just now rechecked the dryer and it came on and seems to be working fine. This one baffles me. Before getting on line I had spun the drum by hand and that didn't seem to fix the problem. Any ideas as to why taping down the start switch by the door and pushing the start button while spinning the drum would kick it into gear?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Most likely you had something stuck in your blower assembly, a small sock or something to that effect and it's possible by spin the tub one direction or the other you got the obstruction loose and now it's not caught in the blower, probably need to check and make sure that whatever it was is completely out of the blower system with this could happen again, also make sure it's not in the vent part inside the dryer which could restrict the airflow, that would be my guess however I can't be 100% sure but that's usually what happens in your situation, as far as the fuse goes you probably didn't blow the fuse you probably trip the motor overload and once it cooled off it resets that's why you are able to start it now, I would pull the dryer out and disconnect event from the dryer and look inside with a flashlight and see if there is a sock or something sitting in the bottom of the vent hopefully you can reach it by reaching in the vent and get out of there, make sure you unplug the dryer of course, that's about all I can think of, and I've seen this many times so it's not unusual, I hope I've been helpful though, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just below the exhaust vent inside the drum there is an 'L' shaped hole where presumably something used to be inserted but has fallen out. In my parts list the only think I can see is Pad Sensor. Is this correct? What does it do? If not what else could have been inserted in this hole?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Are you talking inside the dryer when you open the door or are you talking about the back with the vent comes out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The hole is inside the dryer on the back wall. Yes, I have to open the door to reach to the back wall to where the hole is located.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yeah these are the moisture sensor bars, when this is on automatic cycle these moisture sensor bars sense how dry the clothes are and advances the timer accordingly, it silver is that correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My sensor seems to have fallen out and now there is just a hole in that location. To avoid coins or other objects falling through that hole and causing potential problems with the motor or drive system can I just block off that hole?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Well if you do that the automatic cycles won't work, the moisture senses what tells the thermostat to turn the heater on and off and also advances the timer your better off replacing it and fixing correctly.