Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag LSE 1000 stacked washer/dryer. I bought it

I have a Maytag LSE 1000 stacked washer/dryer. I bought it a dozen years ago at a second-hand appliance store.

It has worked great until now, but we just started a load and the washer just kept filling and overflowed. We tried just setting it on spin to get the water out and it overflowed again (somewhere out of sight). We then took the wet clothes out to lower the water level and siphoned some additional water out, thinking that the level was too high to spin effectively. Again, we started getting water overflowing from somewhere.

As an additional note, while were on vacation (we just returned) a neighbor washed some flimsy curtains which just shredded into strips. I'm thinking that the drain might just be clogged with this stuff, but have no idea where to begin.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Okay when this overfilled did shutting the machine off or unplugging it stop the water from coming in? Or did you have to shut the water valves off?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It stops when we hit the off button
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay, try this, shut the water off to the machine and put this in spin, start it and pull your drain hose out of your drain in your house just enough so you can see if the water is draining, you can shut it off right after you see whether the water is draining are not, let me know if it is draining, if not you're probably right you have something in the drain pump that is clogging the drain but probably also have something in the pressure to that goes up to the water level control which means when the water is filling there is no pressure going up the tube to shut the water off when it gets to the desired water level, this could all be from the curtains you said came apart when you a washing them, let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, I don't think we can run the test you suggest, since this was custom built into an addiiton to our house and there's cabinet work on one side and a wall on the other.

I think we're going to have to pull it out far enough that the hose (which we can't even see) will disconnect. I recall the builder had a bit of a challenge getting this in to begin with.

A couple of questions for now: You say pull the drain hose out of the drain: actually, it's connected to a purpose-built drain which isn't like the old hose-to-utility-room-sink setup. I assume it's ok to just use a bucket . . .

Assuming there IS water coming out, what then?

Assuming there is NO water coming out, I assume we should try to clear the obstruction from the drain as well as "the pressure". How do we go about doing that?

I'm not sure when we're going to be able to get to this, but I understand that our subscription is for 30 days and can return later with follow-up quesions. Is that correct? Thanks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately that makes it tough on you, if you can get the hose out and put it in a bucket that would work to at least see if the drain is working, as far as getting to the pump and the pressure hose you would need to remove the front of the washer, that is not too difficult, there are two screws at the bottom of the front panel you remove those and pull the panel out at the bottom in it will unhook from the top clips, you can see the screws on panel number 17 in this diagram, your drain pump will be in the right front corner once you get this panel off, more than likely you have stuff in the pump, and it's not draining in when the tub starts spinning it throws water over the top of the tub because of the centrifugal force, you can tell that by removing that front panel and put it in spin and see if you see the water coming up over the top of the tub, you may need to get all the water out of this so you can pull the hoses off the pump and clear the pump and the hoses, the other part is the pressure switch hose which is a rubber tube that goes from the side of the tub up to the control panel and connects to the water level control switch, his a diagram of the pump assembly, the pump is number 18 on this diagram, and the pressure tube is number 22 on this diagram, you will need to check these things and see if there clogged, but you must get the water out before you pull any hoses or you will have a flood, I really truly hope this helps, and you do have 30 days to come back if you have more questions, I'm sure you got a find that these hoses are clogged up from the curtains that came apart, thanks and well wishes, Bryan