Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a refrigerator with bottom freezer and it is leaking

I have a refrigerator with bottom freezer and it is leaking water in the front also builds up a layer of ice in the bottom of the freezer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

This is a very common issue on these, your defrost drain is clogged, or frozen, behind the panel inside the freezer the evaporator coils, every eight hours these coils are defrosted by the automatic defrost system which the water is supposed to run through a tube to underneath the refrigerator where there is a pan to catch it in it then evaporates, what you will need to do is remove the back panel inside the freezer behind your food and boil some water and pour it over the ice underneath the evaporator coils until all of the ice is gone and the water drains freely through the drain hole, here is a diagram where you can see the panel you need to remove, it's number 11 on the diagram, once you get the drain hole cleared you will be fine, I hope this helps, thanks, Bryan