Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I am changing the control board for my duet dryer. How do

I am changing the control board for my duet dryer. How do I remove the selector knob?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Do you have a full model number?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
GEW9250PWD, Serial MR5154662 The instructions I have simply say "remove the selector knob" but no clue as to how
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, the selector knob does just pull off, here is a picture of the back of it, these can sometimes be real tight however and you will need to pry to get it off, I've run into this before but it will come off, as you can see by the picture it just slides on there are no clips holding it or anything you need to remove first, these can be a real pain in the neck to be honest sometimes, and I am aware that you are afraid of breaking it but as you can see there is nothing holding it except for the slide on part, the problem is it goes onto the control which has a plastic stem and sometimes these are hard to remove, they bind up on the stem you try to get them off, it will, however, I hope this information is useful, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got it! $30 seems like a lot for such a simple thing -- but this "simple thing" was keeping me from completing my project. We (my husband and I) own three roofing companies and often get complaints from customers that we (not actually us -- but our employee) was only on their roof for 10-15 minutes to fix their leak/problem and we charged them $175 - $375 possibly -- we remind them we don't charge by the hour but our fees are based on our experience for what we know -- so there you have it. Thanks for your expertise and experience. I just needed a little boost of confidence from an expert!! While I have your attention -- just one more thing. This control board went bad because of moisture in my dryer and I'm not sure how to prevent this from happening again. Had the same problem last summer but it didn't kill the board. It is something to do with the venting -- through the floor (crawl space) and out a brick outside wall. I have to leave the door of the dryer open so that moisture won't build up in the summer because of difference in temps from outside to inside and if I leave clothes that have been dried, in the dryer overnight (or several hours during day after dryer cuts off), they are very damp by morning. Any suggestions?

Teresa

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yeah the venting is usually the issue when it comes to steam in the dryer, if the steam is not being pushed out of the vent efficiently it tends to stay in the dryer which then can reach the control board in a centrally short it out, for one thing it seems as though because you say you believe your dryer full of dry clothes in the morning there damp it sounds to me as if the outside flap on your vent is not closing tightly and it's drawing in moist air, there could also be a tear in the vent itself running under the house, the one thing that is common is sometimes the vent can sag in one spot and collect water in the vent hose itself which then evaporates back into the hose and back up into the dryer you need to go under the house and check these things and also make sure your venting flap is shutting when you shut the dryer off, this is supposed to open with the force of the air on the dryer and then shut the dryer is off, also try not leaving the clothes in the dryer overnight I know sometimes you set the dryer and go to bed but it's a good idea to take the clothes out and run the dryer with no clothes for a couple of minutes to dry it out I really don't know what else to tell you on that, I'm glad I was able to help however, thanks very best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.