Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my ge freezer/refrig (side by side, install date of 11/2008)

Customer Question

my ge freezer/refrig (side by side, install date of 11/2008) seems to be defrosting now (food in upper part of freezer seems cool at best; food in lower part of freezer is still frozen solid)... service can't get here until monday ... what should i do in the meantime?

thanks,
david
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

The fans running inside?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes fan is running - no air going to refrig - air seems to be going into freezer
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Do you see any Frost on the back panel behind the food in the freezer? Any at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, seems cover with a thin layer of frost ... much like when the defrost thing-a-maggig went out a couple of years ago...
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, you have a defrost problem and there is something you can do about it to hold you over till he gets out there on Monday, you will need a few tools actually probably just a Phillips head screwdriver and possibly a one quarter wrench nut driver, you need to remove that panel which means you need to take the food out of the freezer and take a hairdryer in defrost all of the Frost on the coils behind that panel, what happens is these coils get clogged with Frost in the air cant circulate and thus no cold air gets to the refrigerator section and even the freezer section starts to get warm or so defrost all of the Frost on the coils themselves behind that panel and then replace the panel put it back in and turn the refrigerator back on, it'll take a little while for it to cool back down but put all your food back in so little help cool it faster, this will take you through the weekend and when the service man gets there is probably going to find you have a bad defrost heater in this, that's the most common issue on these refrigerators, so if you do what I say and as soon as you have all the Frost out of the panel back on and plug it back in it will start to cool and will get you through the weekend, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will i need to repeat this process over the weekend, or will once be enough? I will start looking for tools now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Once should be enough, this usually takes about 2 to 3 weeks to freeze back up again, by then the technician will have come and gone and have this repaired for you, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan, Now that we have relieved the emergency, can i fix the frig myself? GE will probably charge 200-300 for the repair, and given how easy the temporary repair was, why not try my hand at the real deal?

thanks,
david
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
you probably could David, do you have a volt meter and know how to use it ?