Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My ge monogram ref does not dispense water or ice....I have

My ge monogram ref does not dispense water or ice....I have another touch display but don't know if that is the problem or how to replace it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Can you get us the full model number? Thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
zis480d...it is similar to sub-zero
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
A model number is XXXXX can you recheck it on the tag on the refrigerator itself? Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ZISS480DRISS
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Is this your dispenser control that you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. But could this be the problem? All of a sudden it does not dispense ice or water but the control panel still works and the ice maker still works?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well it doesn't necessarily mean the control is bad, although it could be the problem, did you say you are ready have another one? And you need to know how to change it? That would be the best way to tell if you have one already, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found one in a box. I just bought this house and the people before me have a bunch of spare parts for this house. I guess I can start with replacing that part.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes that is very simple to replace too, all you do is it snaps on so you get your fingernails on the bottom of the control and pull out and it will come right off then there's only a couple of plugs on it you need to unplug to put the new one in, I would try that before anything else and if that doesn't work we can go on from there, a lot of times it's the main control board but I can't be sure that on yours, I would try changing the dispenser control first, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is a black trim all around that control area. Will that need to come off first?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

no you do not take the panel off around, here is a video to show you how that part comes off, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Dispenser-Solenoid/WR62X10055/1194707?modelNumber=ZISS480DRISS#repairHelpVideoTabs just click the blue link and it's a video to show you how to remove that,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't get it to come off...the trim is blocking the display. Is there another way?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
That trim is blocking the display? That's the way we take these off, the trim should not be in the way, you can try getting a small screwdriver in prying it the bottom, here's the diagram and as you can see the control is the furthest part out number 133.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just don't get it...it looks like the trim won't let it pop out...the trim won't come off cause it's behind the stainless...if there is no other way I will try all I can. Let me know and I will just accept so you can get paid for helping me.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
That's really strange because I've never run into that where was able to pop that control off, I know what you're talking about the trim be behind the stainless, the handles are what you're talking about correct? The stainless handles?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No...part number 101 on the diagram you sent me. It won't let the control panel come off...it almost looks like I need to take the stainless shell of the door to get to the inside.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes part 101 is the trim the net also snaps on, you got the round stainless handle that's in the way on one side do you have stainless steel panels on the freezer door also? I've run into this, let me know, thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I do have stainless panels on the freezer door.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay this is a pain in the neck, you will probably need to remove your handle, usually there are little Alan screws holding the handle to the door posts that stick out, look carefully on the round posts that go into the door and see if you can see little Alan screws, they are very small and in a little hole. The diagrams are not that great that I can be absolutely sure on your handles, but the we have had to do these before is remove the handle and slide the panel's over so you can get at the part number 101 it seems to me because the diagrams or so vague that you should be able to snap that outer part off though. It's difficult to say I am not there and I don't want have you break something, see if you can find a way to remove the handle we can go from there I guess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've done that but I can't take off all the screws on the panel. It's in a tight spot custom fit in the wall...I found another door in my attic with new panels. Would it be easier to just replace the door and put the new display on that one?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I was looking at that in you need to remove that trim and slide the panel's out to get at that one, I you able to pull a refrigerator out a bit,? You need to get the screws off so you can slide the panels out-of-the-way, I have done one of these and they are a pain in the neck but that's how you have to get at it, you may need to pull the refrigerator out so you are able to remove those outside trims number 120 on the diagram
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do the panels slide up or do they just come off?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
A slide over there not really showing me the panels themselves so I can't tell on yours, I know this is a pain and I'm wondering why they have somebody parts for that refrigerator hanging around, I'm wondering whether they've been changed the parts are no good or if they good and they didn't need them, I just don't know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think your right. This maybe a job for a pro to come out and do....what do you think? I really appreciate your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You are probably right, the problem is they have somebody parts laying around and I don't know why, you may change the control in the one you put in may be bad and they just kept it I can't be sure and I want run you around in circles all night, just getting this apart is a nightmare it may be worth it To just have a technician come out and he will be able to fight with it, LOL these are a pain, I tried to help I really did but these are a nightmare, the sides pointing you may scratch up the panels are something like that is another thing you have to worry about, I wish you the best and hope I've been of some help, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.