Alan
Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years in the appliance repair field.
11470909

My Maytag Neptune dryer is giving me an error message that

My Maytag Neptune dryer is giving me an error message that is not in the user's guide that came with the dryer. I chatted with a representative at maytag.com and she told me to unplug it for a minute and that didn't work. She couldn't find any information on it. I'm fearing something major. The error message is what looks like a capital letter E (with the top line missing) or an incomplete lowercase b, followed by the number 5. Any ideas? This is the second time this has happened and I don't remember what it was but it was rather major and stumped the repair person.
Hi Sir or Madam, Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Look at this service sheet. Could the code you see look like the tS they show in the second section on the left? Make sure your lint screen is not clogged and the venting is completely clean.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I view the service sheet?
Sorry. Here you go.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We're going to check the venting. I checked the lint screen earlier. I will let you know if we're successful.
Great. Let me know what you find. If you need I can help you with testing the thermistor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We removed the venting and will need to replace the semi-rigid duct venting hose because a hole was created when I moved the dryer out from the wall. So that takes care of the possibility of clogged venting because we then removed it and checked the outside and the back of the dryer. We also checked the screen. The screen is clean, but there is some lint in the area below the screen (near the bottom of the dryer). We plugged the dryer back in and we are still getting the error message. What next?
If all that checks good you have a bad thermistor. It is located on the blower housing and you can purchase one by clicking here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Alan! Will I be able to figure out how to install it?
Yes, it is a simple thing to change. Two screws and two wires. It does not matter which way the wires go back on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Alan,

I received the part and now I ned to know how to access where I need to do the work. How do I remove the front, back or top cover of the dryer?

Ok, when I get home tonight I will upload the service manual for you. It has step by step how to get into the machine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I figured it out and it works!!! Thanks!
Great, I am glad you got it repaired. Thanks for using Just Answer and come back again soon!