Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have a Whirlpool microwave model #MH6130XEQ made in 1999.

We have a Whirlpool microwave model #MH6130XEQ made in 1999. The fan just circulates the air thru the appliance back into the kitchen. Is it possible to add a vent to take the discharge air up thru the attic and roof? I can access the back of the microwave thru the wall from a walk-in closet located directly behind the kitchen. There is a wall cabinet on top of the microwave. Are there installation instructions still available for this unit that may help me?
Charles Berger, Apex, NC
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

I Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Yes you can vent this out the back end up through the attic, you will however need to remove the microwave and put your vent in and then flip the vent cover over so the two holes it vents through in the back, part number nine on this diagram. There are screws and you just unscrew it and you need to turn it so the two square holes are facing back instead of up, you will probably need to add an exhaust adapter like this one, you can order this at the following link, or if you wish to Google apart you can probably get it cheaper, this is the manufacturer part number for the adapter, 815092 I hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I remove the microwave? That is why I asked if installation instructions were still available. Charles
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Well the installation instructions I'm not sure are available to send you, open the cabinet doors above the microwave and it will be screws going down through the cabinet bottom into the microwave holding the microwave up, you need to get a good grip on the microwave and remove the screws and let it drop down in the front holding onto the microwave really good, when you have it down at an angle you lift it off the back mounting brackets and slide it forward and out pull in the cord through as you go then you can get to the part you need to flip over on the back of the microwave for the vent you can also cut your hole in the wall while you have it down and then you can vent it up through your ceiling in the lock in Room and up through the attic, the screws are number 6 on this diagram in there is also a locking pin number 16, this being as old as it is it's difficult to find the actual installation instructions for it now some of these also have screws behind the plastic grill above the door that goes along the top and they are flat head and you may need to release those also if it has them, I can't really see them on the diagram so I'm not sure if you have them, thanks, Bryan