Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience appliance repair and installation
25067054

Dishwasher-ADP7551 WH- Functions perfectly but has developed

Dishwasher-ADP7551 WH- Functions perfectly but has developed a stronger 'hot plastic smell I think when it starts the drying cycle.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.

Neilwill :

Hello, Thank you for using JustAnswer! If you have any questions after reading my answer,be sure to let me know. Remove the racks and look carefully at the inside bottom of the dishwasher. If anything has fallen in there, like a plastic spoon or other item that can melt, it's probably resting against the element, or was resting against it. If there is nothing in there at all that was touching the element, then the element itself might be failing. To know if it is failing you would need to test the heating element with n ohm meter. or have a hands on tech test it.

Neilwill :

Take some fine sandpaper and go over the entire heating element. You're just giving it a good cleaning. If you feel some bumps, keep sanding until the element is all smooth and free of plastics or oils.

Customer:

how do i get to the element.I have taken thecatcher for debris such as labels etc. and taken out the perforated cover but i cannot see any element. But please note that the smell is not apparent in the interior where the plates are washed.

Customer:

I have checked the plug connections incase there was a plug deterioting.

Customer:

I have not tried to remove the backing as I do not have a schematic showing what is what!

Neilwill :

I am sorry but I do not have the information you require. I will opt out and another expert may be able to assist you.
Sorry for the inconvienience.

Customer:

I have to go off line for 2 hours. will then check for a further reply.

Expert:  AppTech35002 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com to resolve your appliance issue. I look forward to assisting you.

I think you may have a unit with a heated blower underneath the unit. For safety I think you should stop using your dishwasher until you get this figured out. If you are comfortable doing so, disconnect the power and remove the panel to access the area beneath the dishwasher and look for any burned or melted wire or plastic pieces particularly around the left front corner where I believe the blower is located. Be careful of sharp metal edges and such if you reach underneath. If you are not comfortable looking for this problem I suggest you have an appliance technician take a look at this dishwasher before you continue using it.

I hope I have been able to provide information that you have found useful. If you are satisfied with my response please click accept. Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated. We can continue to chat if you have any further questions about this issue, even after you have clicked accept. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have found the problem in the back of the unit. Where the electric supply cable enters thro the back plate the cable isonnected in a moulded block. Hay presto the block was distorted and had obviouslybeen getting hot.This pm i managed to track down a similar block and fitted it. All ok.. Could not find the actual cause because the block was badly distorted. I am lucky because it would have caught fire.
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Great to hear you problem is solved .
Cheers
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 10 years experience appliance repair and installation