Alan
Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years in the appliance repair field.
11470909

I have a Frigidaire Laundry Center - front load washer that

I have a Frigidaire Laundry Center - front load washer that I purchased at Sears a couple of years ago. The washer will not start, the door lock light does not come on when I close the door and try to start the washer so I am thinking it has something to do with that; but the funny thing is if I start the dryer, the washer will work, including the door lock light but the minute the dryer stops so does the washer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alan replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam, Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Can you supply me with your model and serial number so that I may better help you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hang on we are checking..

Model number GLEH1642FSI

Expert:  Alan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for getting the model number. Did this just start happening? Has this unit been put in a new location recently, or has there been any new electrical work done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Actually, a few days ago a circuit breaker blew out to our well, a wire was grounded (or something like that) but my husband checked all that too when this started happening which was a couple of days ago. We reset the circuit breaker. The unit is not on the same breaker as the well. Does that make sense? This happened once before but it worked after a couple of tries and I thought it was just user error or something. I don't know if the washer worked only when the dryer was at that time. I did not try, it just started working.
Expert:  Alan replied 3 years ago.
It is a weird situation. The washer and dryer plug into different outlets and should not have any bearing on each other unless there is something wrong with the house wiring. I think you have a neutral problem and you need to have an electrician check out the wiring to both plugs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It does not have two plugs. It is one plug for the whole unit. It is a laundry center
Expert:  Alan replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, most Frigidaires have two seperate circuits. I looked at the wire diagram for yours, does the dryer heat up when it runs and makes the washer run?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Alan replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a volt meter to measure voltage at the outlet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know. I can ask my husband. This sounds too complicated for me to speak with you about. I still think it is in the door lock mechanism somewhere, because the washer normally will not start without the door being shut and locked, the owner's manual talks about fuses somewhere in the unit but we can't locate where they are. Do you know?
Expert:  Alan replied 3 years ago.
There are thermo fuse for the dryer. The only fuse for the washer may be on the motor control board, but it is not a changable part. The first thing I would do is make sure the power is correct at the plug, if it is wired wrong it can cause all sorts of crazy things to happen. Even though there is only one plug for this machine, the washer and dryer electrical systems are seperate except where it plugs in.
Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ years in the appliance repair field.