Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

Our Whirlpool Duet washer has stopped spinning in the spin

Customer Question

Our Whirlpool Duet washer has stopped spinning in the spin cycle. The motor can still be heard running so it appears to be gear breakage or however the motor is attached to the drum. This happened after a heavy blanket was washed which may have caused the problem. Please advise.. thanks.  XXXX.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you.

Tim Alan :

Is the unit draining?

Customer :

Yes the Whirpool Duet washer is draining.. it is just not spinning.

Tim Alan :

Ok it drains out and you can hear a motor running but it will not spin, can you take the top off the unit and check the belt at the rear? The belt could have come off the pulley.

Tim Alan :

Also is it agitating if the belt came off it wouldn't agitate either?

Customer :

Ah Ha.. I suspected a broken belt or gear. BUT can you tell me how to take back off.

Customer :

I will pull the washer our and see what holds back on.

Tim Alan :

Take the top off first and then the hundred or so screws that hold the back panel in place and it's not hard just a lot of screws to remove.

Tim Alan :

If that belt is off also check the large inner drum pulley and make sure it's tight, it shouldn't wobble at all.

Customer :

Hi Tim..Believe it or not, The electric power went off over our whole section of Mill Valley

Customer :

and just came back on..

Customer :

I took back off. The big rubber belt is in place and tight. so now I will see if I can locate the

Customer :

other 'inner drum pulley'. Can you tell me if it is down under the pump or where

Customer :

thanks.

Customer :

So Tim... I reattached the water expel hose, pushed the Spin button up to High, and

Customer :

lo and behold it spins... however,,, it seems to be slower than it should be.. Hmmm?

Customer :

any idea why?

Customer :

Thanks.

Tim Alan :

The big pulley on the back is the drum pulley, so it did not come off and is spinning but not up to speed.

Customer :

XXXX.

Customer :

Correct... But I am not sure if we ever changed the spinning speed before the washer stopped spinning all together to see if it would spin at different chosen speed. Now what?

Customer :

Any advice as to how fast the 'fast cycle' should be.

Tim Alan :

As long as you have the back off, the first thing to do is check the electrical connection on the motor, it's kind of hard to do and more of a touch and feel thing but make sure that connection is tight.

Tim Alan :
  • To begin the test mode first close the door
  • Press the ‘Control On’ button
  • Select the ‘DRAIN/SPIN’ cycle
  • Select ‘NO SPIN’ by pressing the ‘SPIN SELECT’ button
  • Push ‘PREWASH OPTION’ button 4 times within 5 seconds
  • Now if you have successfully initiated the test mode ‘C:00′ will show in the display.
  • If the procedure fails just press the ‘PAUSE/CANCEL’ button then repeat the sequence again.
Tim Alan :

Above is a test mode that you can put your unit into, once you have checked the motor connector, enter this test mode and then let me know what it does.

Customer :

Thanks. Will do.

Tim Alan :

Ok

Customer :

Worked as you instructed. C:00 came up and a cycle stared.

Customer :

Water came in, tub started turning.. COO then showed CO 3 and the CO 5. and it is

Customer :

the tub is turning with water in it. So I wonder now is this resetting something

Customer :

and since the No Spin button was pushed, what will happen when it gets to that

Customer :

cycle.

Tim Alan :

Ok, good there should be 8 steps so if it gets stuck on 5 then press the prewash button twice to advance to the next step, it's kind off a reset, the spin is engaged at the final step. The no spin is ignored in the test, when it's in the test at step 8 it should go full or high spin.

Customer :

Yep.. I pressed the Prewash button twice and it jumped to the 6 cycle.

Tim Alan :

Ok, good.

Customer :

as we speak..How long for next two cycles to get to eight.. eager to see if it

Customer :

spins well. Hmmm if it does ... does this reveal the original problem.

Customer :

like did we just need to reset spin and there are no mechanical flaws?

Customer :

Just curious.

Tim Alan :

To advance the cycle press the prewash 2 times.

Tim Alan :

Did you get any error or f codes?, I'm thinking loose connection, or maybe a glitch, tough to tell at this point.

Customer :

So doesn't matter.. if indeed the spin cycle works after all this fun.

Customer :

W. will check to see if any 'error' or F codes.

Tim Alan :

Is it noisy at all or nosier then it should be?, Does the drum look out of round or does it wobble?

Tim Alan :

The heavy blanket could have a caused an out of balance or an unbalanced load sensed situation and it was stuck in the out of balance mode and this could reset that if that's what happened.

Customer :

No f or error... The rinse button was flashing and the timer showed like 5.. I may have made

Customer :

mistake as I then thought I could hurryup the spin cycle by pressing start again

Customer :

button. Now timer shows 11 so should I assume this will still triggr the spin

Customer :

cycle? The tub did not spin when I maybe presumptively pushed spin.

Tim Alan :

Hit the cancel, button twice and then restart the test procedure when it is in the test mode with the 00 keep pressing the prewash twice and advance to the c08 test.

Customer :

Well... can do that, but I just checked and it had pumped out water and was spinning

Customer :

like really fast. Should I still do the reset process again even so.

Customer :

thanks.

Tim Alan :

No leave it alone, it's probably on the drain and spin that's good it's spinning.

Tim Alan :

Hows it going?

40760.040553588