william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate

How much force is required to open the cover of your 36" built

How much force is required to open the cover of your 36" built in gas grille?

I am an accessibility specialist, and the American Disabilities Act requires that any door or operating mechanism is to require no more than 5lbs (22.2n) maximum force for activation.

I would like to recommend your gas grille in a custom installation for a rental community, but if the cover requires more force than that, I won't be able to use it.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

This has a hood assist built into this it has concealed springs. Look at this diagram below.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I must have verification that the type of spring you describe is indeed used in that particular model of gas grille.
I appreciate your answer, and it's my fault for not realizing until I'd gone too far into this site to realize that this wasn't an authorized Wolf site.
I will be able to use your answer when I call them. Thanks again for your prompt response. I appreciate it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I went ahead and accepted your answer even though I called a Wolf appliance engineer and you are sooooooo wrong. The grille has a regular piano-type hinge. None of their appliances are ADA compliant.

Don't answer questions that you don't comprehend or truly have the info for!

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
The model that i looked at which is a 36 inch and went over with a fine tooth comb has springs on it. I suggest that you read all material before making any assumptions. I do know what im talking about.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

I suggest that you read through these features. It has a hood asist and it has concealed springs. If your still not sure go buy a scale the ones that you would buy for fish and hook one end to the handle and raise it up that way there you can actually see for yourself if its to much for you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already had the same document you just attached, and saw that they were calling out "spring assist" hinges. That is very different from the cannister type assist you showed in your first answer. The engineer with whom I spoke told me that the force to open the hinge is greater than 5 pounds.
As I told you before, I accepted your initial answer, and appreciate your effort. Perhaps they are wrong, but I have to go with the opinion of the Wolf engineer. Have a nice weekend!