william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate

I have a maytag model DWC8240AAW in which the upper spray arm

I have a maytag model DWC8240AAW in which the upper spray arm is not turning leaving the dishes unclean. I have checked and cleaned both upper and lower spray arms, disassembled the wash motor assembly and cleaned out the plastic and other debris. Upper arm is still not revolving. Can you help???
Thanks,
Randy
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
Do this for me please? Take the spray arm and spin it tell me how it spins? Thanks.
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
Did you clean the pump filter?
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
Do you need further assistance so we can fiqure this out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The spray arm seems loose as I spin it....it does spin freely. I cleaned the pump filter.
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.

Was it this that you cleaned?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I also shop-vac the bottom of the dishwasher, and washed out the spray arms -both upper and lower. Water seems to be coming out of the upper "jet" with the arm in place and with the arm removed.
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
This is a prortable d/w is this correct? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is portable with the option to be built in...it is currently built in under the countertop. I built it in 2 years ago and worked fine until recently. I haven't pulled the dishwasher out since building it in.
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
Ok for now i want you to take off the lower toe kick panel and find the watervalve selenoid take the water hose off of it then un-hook the wiring harness then take the water valve selenoid off, look into the hole , where the water hose was hooked to and see if you can see any lime deposits or rust on that little screen on some of these you should be able to take them 4 screws out and look at the whole screen. Just make sure its clean, then get back with me when this is done.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was pretty dirty on the screen. I have it back together. Now I have water constantly filling the machine. The water valve must be stuck in the open position. Is there a fix for that rather than purchasing a new water valve solenoid? Can it be lubricated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I have the water valve solenoid fixed and working properly now. Everything back together again. Still, the upper arm is not revolving. Back to original problem. I have to leave for a couple of hours. Can I resume later?
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
Sure thats ok whenever you get back just come back to this same post please do not open another question otherwise i wont get it. Is there a wobble when you spin the top sprayer by chance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm back. When I spin it, it turns freely without a wobble. However, in the stationary position, it seems wobbly and is off balance. One side touches the top of the dishwasher. I assume there will be some wobble effect in the stationary position, but is it common for one end to touch the top when stationary?
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.

Tell you what do this one item for me please? Take a empty glass and put in the top right hand corner about 3 inches in, run a cycle, then open it up and tell me how much water gets into it. Can you do this for me?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I remove the lower arm first?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I sat a glass in the upper right hand corner of the dishwasher and it filled immediately - with lower arm in place.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
William, after putting everything back together, I ran a cleaning agent thru the machine. Eventually the arm began rotating and seems to be working again. Thanks for your help in resolving my problem.

Randy
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.

Hey Randy sorry but i had internet problems but, do the cleaning agent 2 more times ina period of 6 mos. Thank-you and your welcome.

Please press the accept button this is how im paid for helping you today. Thanks.

william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate