Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello. I just replaced my water pump and belt on Maytag washing

Hello. I just replaced my water pump and belt on Maytag washing machine - PAVT244AWW - but I am having the same problem - water will not drain. There does seem to be a rubber smell. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

What you need to do is remove the belt again and turn the pump pulley by hand both directions and see if it moves freely, you may have something in your pump stopping it from turning let me know if the pump turns freely, if this is full of water you may have to empty it by hand and tip the machine back so you can get to the pump pulley, the pump pulley will be in the back right corner of the washer, you may have a small sock or something stuck in it, let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pump pulley moves freely as it is a brand new pump that i just ordered from Maytag. The old pump moves freely as well but the website suggested that if it did not drain this might be the problem. Still not draining. If I drain it manually - diconnect hose and use a bucket, it drains fine and then will spin out fine. ??
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay, my guess is with this new information you just gave me is that the motor Spring is either broken or off and not keeping tension on the belt, it is part number one on this diagram, this keeps the motor tension for the belt, that's what you need to check, to get to this you need to remove the front panel, I think you know how to do that already because you replaced the pump so you know how to take the front off, the tension on the motor is most likely your issue, hope this helps, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is the spring,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry it took so long, just checked and the spring is not there! Can't even find it? Anyways, will get one on order and replace. Thanks.