Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .

SCOTSMAN iCE MACHINE MODEL CME 256- It is showing Bin full

Customer Question

SCOTSMAN iCE MACHINE MODEL CME 256- It is showing Bin full .Water/refrigeration red lights are off.All lights otherthan Bin full are off.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 2 years ago.

Francis :

Francis :

Have you tried cleaning the bin sensors. These could be covered with dirt or scales.

Francis :

Here is the service manual, cleaning the sensors are discussed on page 22.

Francis :

If the sensors are dirty, it would indicate that the bin is full thus shutting the unit off.

Customer :

I have already tried with cleaning of sensors.

Francis :

Then you could have a bad sensor already since it is the only part that sends the signal that the bin is full.

Customer :

Any way to check if sensors are bad or controller are bad.

Francis :

The sensors are electronic eyes so it would be hard to check it mechanically since it uses infrared transmitter and receivers. It would be hard also to say if it is the controller. Try removing the wires connected to the sensors and see if the unit would try to run or would indicate an error code.

Customer :

ALL the time whenever we restart the machine it will show Bin full and after some water running it stops.cleaning can be done harvest can be done but not freezing can be done.light can will start blinking but shut off after few seconds..

Francis :

Try removing the sensor wires from the main board, see what happens.?

Customer :

what is the error code and where it could be found out. nothing happens.even if we remove sensor/transmitter wire from controller.

Francis :

The two lights are the error indicators. water and refrigerant. What do you mean nothing happens? If the sensor wires are removed , would the bin full light still lit?

Customer :

yes .bin full light is still on.

Francis :

Oh....that is why you are thinking that you could have a bad board?.. I would be thinking like that too now after you told me this.

Customer :

Should we change the controller board ..

Francis :

It would be up to you to decide, I would not advice it , not after you change the sensors first, anyway , I think the sensors are cheaper than the main board, if it would not work, then that is the time to change the main board.

Customer :

My question is if bill full light is still on even after removing plug of transmitter/receiver.and this dosn't work than what I should do. question is not whether sensor are cheaper or controller board is cheaper.

Customer :

Is there anyway to check if board is good or bad .......

Francis :

I have no info on the program of the controller if it would indicate different if the wires are disconnected or not . I do not know also if the sensors are sending an open resistance reading whenever the bin is full so it would not make a difference if the wires are disconnected. What I am saying is if you would replace the main board, I suggest you replace the sensors as well. There is no way to check the board if it is good or bad unless a burnt mark is visible on any of the parts on the board.

Customer :

There is no burnt mark.and if can we check transmitter or receiver by multimeter or separately. or my last question should I change board first or sensor first. Can board will be faulty if we use bad sensors or vice versa...

Francis :

I do not think board will be faulty if you use a bad sensor. or vice versa. You can not check the sensors.

Customer :

So, I am still in the same position don't know how to fix the problem only after changing board I may be able to solve the problem or not evethan ..Is there any other area Where I should check before I go for changing board./sensor.......

Francis :

I can not think of other areas other than what the unit is saying, it is a bin full indication. Maybe you can check where the wires of the sensor could have been placed going to the main board, Check if it could have touched any hot surface such as the discharge of the compressor where it could be damaged.

Customer :

Thank you.

Francis :

You are very much welcome. Thank you for using JustAnswer.