Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Whirlpool Gold self-cleaning oven. The door on the

I have a Whirlpool Gold self-cleaning oven. The door on the main oven will not stay closed. It sits about a half inch open so the light is on and the heating elements switch off. What could cause this and how can I fix it? thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Do you think maybe somebody sat on it or leaned on it and possibly bend the hinges ? Do you have small children that may have sat on it or bent it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess its possible. I don't have any kids that would have done that, but I can't be sure that an adult didn't lean on it or something. How can I check whether the hinges are bent. When I open the door all the way it does tilt down a few degrees, maybe 2 or 3.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay so the door doesn't stay in a vertical position when it's open it's actually a little lower? This means the hinges are bent, as you can see by this picture the part that actually hooks into the oven it's really not that reinforced, you need to replace the hinges here is a link to the parts, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Hinge/4455523/901458?modelNumber=GDB277PDB1
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK thanks. Can you tell me, or give me a link that shows, how to get the hinges out and in?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
heres a video that may help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEcGuf1vgo4 some doors are a little different but this is basically how they come off, some have a hole you line up and put a nail through rather than the clips,