The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

I have an EPIC z Maytag front load washer that wont drain.

I have an EPIC z Maytag front load washer that won't drain. It started with a strange noise while draining. Now it won't drain at all. Is this a pump failure or something else? How do I determine what it is?

I am comfortable taking it apart and putting back together as well as metering electrical parts.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 2 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

At the bottom front of your washer is a panel held on by a few screws along the bottom. Remove the screws and behind the panel is a cap that you can remove to check the coin trap. Clear out any debris in there and run another load.
If the coin trap is clear please let me know and I will provide further diagnostics and repair information.

The Home Smithy :

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
After you accept, please leave feedback.
Thank you.

Customer:

OK, I will give that a shot.

The Home Smithy :

Ok. =)

Customer:

It had some stuff in it. I cleaned it out and ran a rinse only cycle. It put water in the tub but never made it to spin. The front panel went from 14 m to 5d. I was not able to cancel out of that so I unplugged it. I then tried to do a spin only cycle and nothing is happening. The washer is full of water. What next.

Customer:

Any other ideas?

The Home Smithy :

The 5d is an error code. It is telling you that there is a "suds" error. This usually indicates a plugges drain system. Did you check the coin trap?

The Home Smithy :

Your screen may indicate that I have stepped out of the chat. Please do not be alarmed. I will recieve a notice at the top of my screen when you have replied.
Thank you.

Customer:

I have cleaned the coin trap. It appears as though the pump is not running.

The Home Smithy :

Ok I will need the model number to see if I have a service manual for you to work from to replace the pump.

The Home Smithy :

Im sure I do but need the model number to be sure I get you the right one.

Customer:

Maytag EPIC z

Customer:

Model: MHWZ600TW01

The Home Smithy :

Ok, one moment please

The Home Smithy :

Got it! Give me a minuet to upload a copy for you.

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to download the manual. Page 4-17 has the information to replace the drain pump. Would you like a link to purchase the new pump on line?

Customer:

Removed the pump and found rubber hair band in the blades. I have removed them and I am running a rinse/spin cycle. Let's hope that gets it...I am tired of draining the washer tub.

Customer:

If it turns out to be the pump, where do i go to order it?

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to order the new pump assembly.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks for the help.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances