Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Kenmore Coldspot 106 side by side March 1995 dob, freezer coils

Kenmore Coldspot 106 side by side March 1995 dob, freezer coils freezing up in 3-5 days, door seals look good drain tube not pluged. After thawing it out, makes ice and cools correctly in just a few hours. Ice covers freezer coils from top to bottom. What do I need to replace? I am a commercial 2-way radio technician with plenty of skills. (except with refrigerator troubleshooting).
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

this happens in a matter of hours? did you take the panel off in the freezer behind the food? is that how you defrosted this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the confusion. 1. it takes 5-14 days for the freezer coils to ice over again and quit cooling. 2. after it is defrosted it works great, ice maker starts making ice and fridge is down to 36 degrees in a matter of hours. 3. Yes, i removed the panel on the back wall of the freezer to access the freezer coils.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
That's okay, do you ever hear this go into a defrost cycle? Does it go completely silent for about an hour about every eight hours? I'm wondering whether it is actually getting to the defrost cycle or if it is a problem with the defrost thermostat.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not know the answer to that question. I did not know how often it would need to defrost. There is what appears to be a thermostat on the freezer coils, about 1/2 tall, diameter of a nickle. All connections look good. There is a heavy black wire that looks like it goes down around the coils, would this be a heater wire that I could ohm out? I am a 2-way radio tech with 29 years in electronics and equipment if that helps.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay great you have a meter and know how to check continuity, okay the way you need to do it is the thermostat on the top of the coils is the defrost thermostat, this shuts the heater off once it's defrosted, this needs to be checked for continuity while still on the coils and still very cold, if it wants up it won't have any continuity, if it has continuity while it's cold it's good, the other thing is the black thick wire that goes down to the heater itself there will be a connection on each end of that, that can be checked at any temperature, if that has continuity is good, make sure you unplug the refrigerator before school the but these wires though, if both of them check out it's the defrost timer itself, the defrost timer is number six on this diagram and is inside the refrigerator section in the control panel area, where your cold controls are located, you can order the timer are any other parts for this at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/Model-1069555381-ID-168520-Parts?s=d168520e it's going be one of these three things, I hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.