Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My microwave door will not open. I think the push bar is broken.

Customer Question

My microwave door will not open. I think the push bar is broken. The lower latch seems to be free, but the upper one will not release.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The latch hooks are all one assembly. The button pushes the bottom hook up which pushes the top hook up as well. If the top hook isn't releasing, then chances are the bottom hook as worn down slightly from the button rubbing on it and the latch in the door will need to be replaced. Either way, to open the door now you'll need to uninstall the entire microwave. Remove all the screws going into the outer shell and remove all the outer shell. Then you can reach into the area behind the control panel and lift up on the latch hooks to manually open the door.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Finally got it. It seems that the lower latch was actually broken off. Is it possible to replace it on my own?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
definitely. Open the door and the door will need to be taken apart. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to take the door apart.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank, finally got the door apart. Had to remove screws before the door came apart. Now I just need the repair part. Where can I get the new latch?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Glad you got it apart. Do you have a model number? I can see if I can look up the part. It should be on a sticker just inside the cavity of the microwave.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model number R-930AK
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Perfect, below is a link to the part.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
no problem and good luck to you.