Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

we have a sears ref. (L.G) make with ice and ice droplets buildup

Customer Question

we have a sears ref. (L.G) make with ice and ice droplets buildup on the food and back wall of freezer.i defrosted it 1 mo. ago,found no problems. seals good no obvious air leaks??
unit cools good.
please help mike.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 3 years ago.
Your problem is the defrost circuit...The ice is coming back because the defrost circuit is not coming on....You either have a faulty Defrost heater..Timer..Bi metal..Or control board...Each part can be tested with a meter accept the control board..Some use the control board..Others use a mechanical timer..
Since this unit is made by LG..The most common problem will be the defrost sensor..#401 Located behind the back INSIDE freezer wall....CLICK HERE FOR PART

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
The part description on the diagram will actually be part 401A
The defrost sensor can be tested with a test meter..Remove the back INSIDE wall to freezer..There are two screws on some model..Some you just pull the wall towards you starting from the top..It basically snaps into place..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its not a defrost problem .the ref cools good.it defrosts fine. ice and water droplets form

onfood and evap. cover

The evaporator is located behind the back inside wall..Are you saying there is water on the back inside wall of the freezer..?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
If there is water and it is not frozen..THis cant mean either the sealed system (compressor Etc.) is not working properly..Or the defrost drain behind the back INSIDE wall is blocked...The only way to tel would be to remove the wall..Inspect the evaporator coils...With the compressor running the coils should be frosted lightly from top to bottom..If they are not then there is a problem with the sealed system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the ref cools fine.the evap has a fullfrost pattern.some ice forms on the evap. cover,some forms on the food.
So you are saying the ice forms on the food in the freezer i assume..Which means either the freezer fan is not working up to par..Or the defrost drain is blocked..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i'm saying ice forms on the food,the evap cover,the ceiling,the walls,all over inside the frz.the defrost drain is not froze.
Check the drain...You should be able to pour water down the drain without any problem...If ok..And you are saying the coils are frosted evenly...The only other thing that can cause this is a weak fan motor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry for the delay.i'm a tech also.the weak evap mtr may be the answer.i've run into it before in other brands.i was hoping you had run into this before and could offer a more specific answer.i can't get any help from sears or lg.other brands have had similar problems and have designed kits with different fans or bigger blades.
Before replacing the fan motor.....If the housing is not fasten to the top of the freezer you will not get proper circulation which will also cause this..Ive have completed many warranty service calls for LG ..The housing snaps in to the body of the freezer at the top..allot of times it will sag..Which means you have a air flow leak..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i'll check this.i do know what you mean.the ref is only 1.5 yr. old. any other tips let me know. thanks mike
No problem at all..Goodluck on your repair..Thanks Bob